Hey, Ms. Tammy!

I wanted to write this letter to say thank you.

You have welcomed me into your home, fed me and loved me as your own daughter. You’ve watched me grow through all of my awkward stages in all these years you’ve known me. Thank you for (seemingly) forgetting about my years of shyness and bushy eyebrows. I’m so glad you didn’t hold those awful stages against me when Dalton and I got together. 

Thank you for raising Dalton the way you did. You raised a man who loves me and respects me. He opens doors, buys me snacks at the gas station, walks on the street side of the sidewalk, and always ends our calls with, “I love you.” I can’t help but assume that you’re the reason he loves me the way he does. You taught him how to treat a woman and you did a great job. Not once in our relationship has he ever disrespected me or treated me like anything other than a queen. Thank you for that.  

Thank you for taking my side when Dalton teases me. He does it a lot, so it’s always nice to have some back-up, especially when my mom always does the opposite and takes his side. You never judge me for being myself around the both of you. You laugh and joke with me and make sure that when we’re together, it’s a good time. I’ve never questioned my place in your home because you’ve always made me feel like family. 

You’ve welcomed me with open arms. You’ve made a place for me at your table and integrated me into your family. You make sure Dalton and I never go hungry and although I’ve never said so, I always appreciate when you call to make sure I like certain foods before you cook them. It really shows me that you care about me and make me feel comfortable. (P.S. that baked chicken you made a few months ago is still one of my favorites.)

I know I can always count on you to be there when we need you. You’ve been through a lot, but you never let your head hang for long. You are such a strong, successful woman and I really do look up to you.

I love your son and I love you. I’ve heard so many horror stories from girls dealing with disapproving and hateful moms and I am so glad I was blessed with someone who has a mom as great as you. I hope that one day (in the super far off future), I can show my son’s girlfriend the same love and respect you’ve shown me. You really are the best future MIL a girl could ask for. 

Courtesy: Cheyanne Walker

So, thank you for who you are and all you do. I love you and I can’t wait to see you soon!

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Cheyanne is a sophomore at FSU, majoring in Social Work with a criminology minor. In the future, she plans to work with abused women and children. In her spare time, she's probably watching Criminal Minds or Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. She also enjoys being a dog mom to her two fur-babies, Tucker and Patches.