Let’s Explore Tallahassee: Get to Know Your New Home

We have reached that point in the year where it seems like everything is in full swing. Everyone has some daily routine. While this is all good and well, it’s sometimes healthy to break away from the “daily grind” and mix things up a bit. In my opinion, exploring Tallahassee is the best way to take a break. This city is incredible if you know where to go and what to look for. There truly is something here for everyone. If you are new to Tally, discovering the city with your friends will make FSU seem much more like home. The best thing about exploring is building friendships, experiencing new things, and having fun along the way.

Courtesy: All About the Sunshine State

A good starting point for your Tallahassee exploration is First Friday at Railroad Square Art Park. This the best way to introduce yourself to the music, art, food and entertainment that is available here. It occurs on the first Friday of every month from 6 to around 11 p.m. Have other plans on Friday night? There are also Saturday morning markets that run seasonally. These have a variety of local art, food and information about Tallahassee. If you’re interested, just check the Visit Tallahassee website, which lists all upcoming events in the area.

Courtesy: Tally Connection

For the outdoors-women, Tallahassee has a variety of awesome parks that offer everything from hiking to kayaking. Lafayette Heritage Trail offers water sports, mountain biking, hiking and running trails. This is one of my personal favorite spots because it has a small side trail called Bill’s Trail, which offers a small library and craft station in the middle of the woods. Wakulla Springs is another great outdoor trip. Here you can go swimming in “the world’s largest and deepest freshwater spring.” If the water is too cold for you, there are 10 miles of trails available to visitors who are curious about this unique area.

Courtesy: Tallahassee Arts Guide

If you want to get outside but aren’t into hiking, be sure to check out Alfred B. Maclay Gardens. These beautiful grounds are a great place to take a picture for your next Instagram post. For a small fee, you can enjoy a reflection pool, winding paths and a secret garden. While it is bound to be beautiful at any point in the year, the best time to visit is in the spring when everything is in full bloom. The Tallahassee Museum might also be a good fit for you. Here, you can experience some local wildlife while roaming nature trails. They also have a Tree to Tree adventure course where you can zip line if you are looking for something more adventurous. They often host events such as movie nights, night zip lining and other seasonal experiences.

Courtesy: Railroad Square Art Park 

If you aren’t interested in outdoor activities, the Tallahassee Rock Gym may be a worthwhile venture. You don’t need rock climbing experience to use the facilities and they offer classes for beginners! This is a great way to test your comfort zone while potentially picking up a new hobby. If you consider yourself a movie buff, the Challenger Learning Center may also be a good option for you. It offers a creative way to watch movies and give back to the community while doing so. They play documentaries as well as Hollywood blockbusters in IMAX 2D and 3D. Just check their website to keep tabs on what’s coming up!

Miranda studies Editing, Writing and Media at Florida State University. She loves music, writing and travel. One of her favorite quotes is "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced." -Vincent Van Gogh
Her Campus at Florida State University.