Leila Alfaro
Leila Alfaro
Photo by Leila Alfaro
Career

Leila Alfaro: FSU’s Kappa Delta Chi Chapter President

This week I decided to interview Kappa Delta Chi’s president. Kappa Delta Chi is a primarily Hispanic sorority but is not exclusive. The super ambitious and very lovely Leila Alfaro was kind enough to sit down with me. Known by many across campus, this is just one of the positions Leila holds. I chose to highlight this leadership role because, as a member of KDChi, I can vouch for her amazing character. Let’s learn more about Leila!

Her Campus (HC): What made you want to join Kappa Delta Chi in the first place?

Leila Alfaro (LA): During the fall of 2018, I was really getting into service. Around this time, I joined Peace Jam. I was learning what service meant to me. I first noticed KDChi when I was an RA and spotted the flyer. Being that it is a service-based organization, it caught my attention. I went to an informational and really liked the women there. They seemed super involved, so I was worried about how I would balance things. I wanted to be with a group of empowering women who knew my struggles. The primarily Hispanic aspect of this sorority was important to me. So, it started as service and later turned into wanting a girl gang to learn new things with.

HC: Did you ever envision yourself being the president? What is it like?

LA: I didn’t envision myself being the president because I came into this sorority very shy. I thought of myself as a leader, but I wasn’t confident in my skills. I decided to become the president because KDChi boosted my confidence. I like being the face of the chapter and leading by example.

Market Wednesday
Original photo by Stephanie Gonzalez

HC: Name the best part about being the president. Now name the hardest thing.

LA: The hardest part is being the face of the sorority. I have to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong outside of KDChi. I never want my actions to shed a bad light on this organization. It is also difficult having everyone come to me with their problems. I try to be there for everyone, but sometimes it is not physically possible. I have to take care of my mental health first before I can support others. My favorite thing is representing us, like I said earlier. I also like the encouragement I receive whenever I’m feeling low.

HC: Why is the Multicultural Greek Council important to you?

LA: I like the diversity we have in our council. It really is representative of what I would like to see at FSU. Although some of our fraternities and sororities are Hispanic based, they are not exclusive. MGC showcases so many cultures. It helps us connect and learn more about each other’s cultures. Lastly, it helps us know that we are here for each other.

HC: Is there anything you want to say to women out there who are looking to hold powerful positions like you?

LA: I say just go for it, even if you think you aren’t qualified. You never know who is going to support you and help you rise up. You have the possibility to learn more about yourself and your abilities.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!