Legends of Hip-Hop Take Over Tallahassee

If you’re an oldie at heart, who enjoys the sounds of classic hip-hop, then we’ve got great news for you. On Friday, October 5th, 2018, some of hip-hop’s biggest legends will be set to hit the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center’s stage for performances you won’t want to miss. Those performing are as followed: Juvenile, Scarface, 8 Ball & MJG, and Trick Daddy.

Courtesy: Donald L. Tucker Civic Center

At the tender age of 19, Juvenile, whose real name is Terius Gray, released his debut album, Being Myself. After the release of his second album, 400 Degreez, he would become a mainstream rapper.  “Ha” and “Back That Azz Up” went on to become his first successful hits, topping the Billboard Hot 100 and the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts. 400 Degreez soon became certified 4x platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and, to this very day, is Juvenile’s most popular album. The album continues to be Cash Money Records’ best-selling album. Some other great hits from the rapper include “Slow Motion’, Set It Off”, and “Bounce Back”.

Brad Terrence Jordan, famously known as Scarface, entered the music scene as a DJ before becoming a member of the rap group known as Geto Boys and discovering that his passion lies in working as a solo artist. He adopted Scarface as his stage name after the infamous 1983 film. His debut album Mr. Scarface Is Back was released in 1991. It became #50 on the US Billboard 200 and became certified gold. Since then, he has gone on to release ten more studio albums. In 2001, he was awarded the Lyricist of the Year Award for his 6th studio album titled The Last of a Dying Breed.

Memphis rappers 8Ball & MJG originally met in middle school and have been inseparable ever since. This hip-hop duo released their debut album Comin’ Out Hard in 1993 which hit #40 on the US Billboard 200. In total, as a duo, they have released over 7 studio albums include On Top of the World (in 1995 which held the #8 spot on the Billboard Hot 200 before becoming certified gold), Space Age 4 Eva (in 2000), and Ten Toes Down (in 2010 which hit #36 on the Billboard 200 a week after it was released).

Miami’s finest, Maurice Young, also known as Trick Daddy, signed a contract with Slip-n-Slide records back in 1996 just before the release of his debut album Based on a True Story. This album quickly pushed Trick Daddy into mainstream success and since then, his songs have left their marks on music charts such as the Hot 100, the rhythmic Top 40, and the Hot Rap Tricks. Not only is Trick Daddy a rapper, but he is also a songwriter, a singer, as well as a record producer. He has worked with other popular, mainstream artists such as DJ Khaled, Pitbull, Trina, and Jeezy.

Come to see for yourself why Tallahassee residents are stoked for the show! You can purchase your tickets here. Tickets are affordable with prices ranging from $49 – $150. The show starts at 8 p.m. and you won’t want to miss it!

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.