Laurence Thompson – Making His Mark on Florida State

Name: Laurence Thompson

Major: International Affairs and Media/Communications Studies.

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: DeLand, FL

Laurence may be a sophomore, but it hasn’t taken him a long time to see all that Florida State has done for him, nor to be inspired to give back. He finds the best way he can give back to FSU is by fully immersing himself in Florida State’s campus life.

He is currently involved with the Black Student Union as the BSU Ambassador, and works in Wildwood as a Resident Assistant. He is also a Fall 2013 initiate into the Theta Eta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., a 2014 Orientation Leader, and a Senator in the 66th Student Senate.

He finds that being involved on campus is the most meaningful way of expression, and his passion is mentoring freshman and helping them find their home in Florida State just as he has found his. With so much on his plate, Laurence rarely finds down time, but when he does, he likes to sleep, hang out with friends, play tennis, and “lots of Netflixing.” If you see him around campus, he’ll most likely be sporting a Starbucks drink. “I am addicted to Starbucks”, Thompson told us.

Her Campus (HC): What made you want to major in IA and media comm’?

Laurence Thompson (LT): There isn’t a pre-law major at FSU, so I began to search for a major that would combine my love for travel and international issues as well as my aspirations to work in public relations and the media. I didn’t decide my major till spring of my freshman year and I’ve stuck with it ever since.

HC: What’s your favorite memory at FSU?

LT: My all-time favorite memory at FSU was co-hosting the BCS National Championship Viewing at the Civic Center. I wasn’t expecting the turn out to be as massive as it was. However, the energy in the room was immense. You could feel the tension during the first half and the pure excitement in the fourth quarter. I will never forget that night and the amazing sense of family and Seminole spirit I felt in the arena.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

LT: Post graduation I plan on attending law school in either New York or D.C. I have also recently considered doing Teach for America as a break between undergraduate work and law school. I hope to get a job working for a PR firm or law firm, gaining experience in order to narrow down which field I want to pursue.

Fun Facts:

“My favorite movie is A Cop and A Half. It’s a major throwback and no one ever knows what it is. However, I watched it practically every weekend for three years, so it’s an oldie, but goodie.”

“Favorite Tallahassee restaurant is probably 101. Their buffalo chicken pizza and spinach and artichoke dip are the best in town. I also really like the style of the restaurant, and I have never had bad service or a bad time.”

Junior at Florida State University. Double majoring in Media Production and Editing, Writing, and Media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.