Laura Rose Dunn: Project RAWW President and Inspiring Veteran Supporter

Name: Laura Rose Dunn

Age: 22

Major: Biology

Hometown: Jacksonville, N.C.

Courtesy: Laura Dunn

Her Campus (HC): Can you tell me a little about yourself?

Laura Dunn (LD): I am 22 years old. I was born in Jacksonville, North Carolina, but have moved all over the states because my dad was an active duty Marine. I’m currently a senior studying biology at FSU. I’m also president of an organization on campus called Project Reaching All Wounded Warriors (RAWW).

HC: Did you like moving around the states?

LD: Moving around as a kid was always bittersweet. It was fun to travel and see new places, but I was always sad I had to leave friends behind.

Courtesy: Laura Dunn

HC: Can you tell me more about Project RAWW? What is it?

LD: We’re a small group of students that aim to serve those who have served our country and sacrificed for our continued comfort and safety. We do this by making bi-monthly trips to the Lake City VA Medical Center where we spend time with the veterans (it always makes my day better when I get to see my pals!). We also work to raise awareness for those struggling from PTSD. 22 vets commit suicide each day and we are working to make that number smaller until we reach zero. We also support our local homeless veterans at the homeless and at-risk Veteran’s Stand Down every spring.

HC: That’s incredible! What is the Veteran’s Stand Down?

LD: On April 21 and 22, the North Florida Fairgrounds will set up camp with stations designed to help the homeless and at-risk veterans to get back on their feet. It’s a wonderful event that offers a chance for those in our community to help these veterans make the necessary adjustments to get back on their feet and into society!

HC: It’s so awesome that you’re involved in something like that! In addition to helping vets, what are some of your personal goals?

LD: I am looking to go to nursing school upon graduating. Long term, I would like to develop a nonprofit for veterans in need of support with my father, who is a veteran that shares my passion to support veterans in any way that we are able.

HC: That’s a really great goal! You’re such an inspiration, thank you!

Her Campus at Florida State University.