roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Last Week in Pop Culture Big Names Made Bold Statements About Important Issues

Spring break might have ended, but celebrities and the news are still staying warm. Here’s everything you missed while soaking up the sun or taking on the winter snowstorms:

1. Instagram (kind of) Went Back to a Chronological Feed

The people spoke and Instagram finally semi-listened. For months, users have complained about the change in algorithm that left them seeing days old posts that the app thought they would like instead of newer posts in chronological order. Instagram recently announced they were making changes to user’s feed in order to “give you more control over your feed and ensure the posts you see are timely.” This has people overjoyed that the app finally listened to the many people that disliked their lower engagement and seeing posts that they actually didn’t care to see from brands or celebrities as opposed to friends and family. While the change isn’t a complete re-do back to chronological, it gives users the option to see newer posts than they currently were able to. We hope Snapchat takes a look and decides to listen to their users next!

Courtesy: Amazon

2. Broadway Stars Collaborated for a Duet

For Broadway lovers and music fans alike, last week was a week where dreams were made a reality. Dear Evan Hansen’s Ben Platt and Hamilton’s Lin Manuel Miranda collaborated for Miranda’s fourth Hamildrops song. The proceeds from the duet, which combined Hamilton’s “The Story of Tonight” and Dear Evan Hansen’s “You Will Be Found,” was announced to be going to support the #MarchForOurLives that took place on Saturday. We are so happy to see two musicians that came together for a great cause and have the musical masterpiece on repeat. You can check out the video for the single here.

Courtesy: iHeartRadio

3. Target Began Selling Unicorn Ice Cream

Hold your horses and get ready for Target’s new Market Pantry Ice Cream line. Last week, the company debuted their new “Unicorn Magic” flavored ice cream as part of their campaign to lure customers from Amazon. It seems to consist of “…a pink fruity base with a sour blue raspberry swirl, a frosting swirl, and glitter candy bits.” Unicorn-themed food has been on the rise in recent months, and Target seized the opportunity and ran with it. The tub is not available for purchase online and is currently only in select stores. We can’t wait to try it ourselves!

Courtesy: Delish

4. Selena Gomez Posted Body Positive Instagram

Selena Gomez went through a lot this past year. From dealing with lupus to having a kidney transplant to going to rehab, she has had a rough time. Last week, body shamers decided to come out in full force after paparazzi photos of Gomez on vacation surfaced with her seemingly looking as if she gained weight. She responded with a heartfelt Instagram post and shared the caption, “The beauty myth- an obsession with physical perfection that traps modern women in an endless cycle of hopelessness, self-consciousness, and self-hatred as she tries to fulfill society’s impossible definition of flawless beauty. I chose to take care of myself because I want to, not to prove anything to anyone. Wind in her sails.” We’re so happy to see yet another icon tackling the unrealistic standards that many female celebrities have to deal with.

Courtesy: Rolling Stone

5. Starbucks Offered $10 Million for Eco-Friendly Cup Ideas

Big news in the coffee industry happened last week. Starbucks announced they would offer a $10 million grant, that’s right, MILLION, for someone to come up with ideas for a more eco-friendly cup. This has been demanded by customers for years and we’re so happy they’re finally jumping on the environmentally friendly train. The change to a cup that’s easily recycled would mean tons of waste would be saved from landfills and would greatly contribute to decreasing the world’s footprint.

Courtesy: Daily Coffee News

6. San Francisco Banned Fur Sales

Wearing animals has long been something people don’t agree with. It looks like San Francisco didn’t either. Last week, the city became the largest in the U.S. to ban the sale of fur. The resolution, which is awaiting the mayor’s signature, would “…go into effect on Jan. 1, 2019, will not apply to second-hand stores and charities. It would extend to online purchases from individuals and businesses within the city.” This is a great start to ensuring no animals are harmed just for humans to purchase and wear for no reason other than to be “fashionable.” We hope other cities look to San Francisco as an example and adopt the same policy in the future.

Malorie is a senior double majoring in Media Communications and Criminology. She loves anything pop culture, criminal profiler, animal, or food related. She lives for sarcasm and being witty.
Her Campus at Florida State University.