Lana Del Rey’s New Album Ranked

I love Lana Del Rey’s music; it definitely feeds the former Tumblr-girl, Wattpad fanatic in me. So in homage to my love for her, here’s my ranking of her latest album Chemtrails Over the Country Club

My number one favorite is “Dark But Just A Game.” Lana sings, “I was a pretty little thing, and God, I loved to sing. But nothing came from either one but pain (But f*ck it). Life is sweet or whatever, baby. Don’t ever think it’s not.”

This song is about a failed relationship that Lana had; it’s very relatable because not everything is meant to last forever. The lyrics show her fans that she’s been there, too.

Then, “Wild At Heart” is indisputably exceptional! This song starts with an acoustic guitar and her signature melancholy voice. Two verses from this song that really resonate for me are:

“The cameras have flashes; they cause the car crashes

But I’m not a star

If you love me, you’ll love me

‘Cause I’m wild, wild at heart.”

… 

“What would you do if I wouldn’t sing for them no more?

Like if you heard I was out in the bars drinkin’ Jack and Coke.”

Lana discusses how fame, symbolized with camera flashes, has caused catastrophes in her life. A major theme in this album is the weight of her fame, and this song is no exception. These lyrics also remind me of “Young and Beautiful,” a song she released in 2013. Lana wonders if her partner would still love her if she gave up her fame in a similar excerpt from that song. In it, she achingly sings, “Will you still love me, when I’m no longer young and beautiful,” and it seems that a common thread in her songs is wondering if her lover will continue to love her if she didn’t have fame. Here though, she’s saying that if her partner really loves her, they’ll love her for who she is. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it sure feels like growth! 

Third is the single she released before her album, “Chemtrails Over The Country Club.” Similar to the last song, here it feels like Lana has matured and grown up. Although I am so much younger than her, the themes in her music help me reflect on my values, desires and who I want to be throughout my adolescence (which you can read about in a previous article I wrote about her: My Hesitant Love for Lana Del Rey). 

Fourth on my list is “Breaking Up Slowly.” This one is a very vulnerable song that also shows noticeable growth from Lana’s perspective on love. She sings,

“Breakin’ up slowly is a hard thing to do

I love you only, but it’s makin’ me blue

So don’t send me flowers like you always do

It’s hard to be lonely, but it’s the right thing to do.”

Here she’s no longer singing about how she’ll stay in her toxic relationship but rather prioritizing herself and ending something that is bad for her mental health. We love to see it!

It’s difficult to rank Lana Del Rey’s songs because I love most of them so dearly, but “White Dress” takes fifth place. What I like most about this song is how she’s reminiscing about her youth—she was 19, not yet famous and stress-free. 

Then comes “Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.” This song also has simple background music, and I love the reassuring message in the title and lyrics. 

Seventh on my list is “For Free,” featuring Zella Day and Weyes Blood. This song is a cover of “For Free” by Joni Mitchell from 1970. Though not an original, this song ties back into her fame versus anonymity theme and explores how people will listen to famous artists but not street musicians.

electric guitar
Photo by Frame Harirak from Unsplash
Eight and nine on my list are “Tulsa Jesus Freak” and “Dance Till We Die,” respectively.

“Yosemite” is ranked number 10, and though it’s lower on the list, it still has a special place in my heart. Here, Lana and her partner do good things for each other “for the right reason,” potentially hinting at her finally enjoying a healthy relationship. A heartwarming change!

My least favorite song in this album is “Let Me Love You Like A Woman.” I still enjoy listening to it; it just reminds me of her older music, and I really enjoy her album’s new vibe and independence.

This is the first album she’s released since I’ve gotten to college, and through my first two semesters, I learned so much about myself. Lana’s more mature lyrical wisdom has resonated with me and created an excellent backdrop for my personal college experience!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

A Freshman at FSU, Isabella is working towards a BS in Economics on the Pre-Law track!
Her Campus at Florida State University.