Lady Spirithunters Finds New Leadership in Anne Marie Pollitt

Lady Spirithunters is a spirit-based organization dedicated to spreading Seminole spirit at FSU. They aren’t hard to find in their garnet and gold striped vests covered in assorted pins and most likely you will find them when you are looking to get your face painted at any of the varsity sporting events. However, as we all know, with a new year comes new leadership, and Anne Marie Pollitt has proudly stepped up to become the Lady Spirithunters new President for 2014. After serving as Vice President for the 2013 year, Pollitt is ready to take on the challenge of leading one of Florida State’s most spirited organizations.

This year’s motto must be “go big or go home” as the organization has just accepted its largest recruitment class ever. This past Thursday 100 lucky ladies found their names printed in the FSView inviting them to accept membership to the Lady Spirithunters. This huge milestone means big things for the organization and Pollitt is ready to make this year one for the record books.

Her Campus (HC): Tell us a little about yourself.

Anne Marie Pollitt (AMP): My name is Anne Marie Pollitt and I am from Tampa, Florida. This is my fourth year here at The Florida State University and I am a Senior ICT Major. I am also minoring in Statistics and Business Administration. I love Mexican food, reading, and FSU! Just a fun fact, I’m deathly terrified of raccoons! I am so exited for this year in Lady Spirithunters and so honored to be serving as President!

Pollitt at the LSH annual Away Trip

HC: When did you join LSH and what made you want to apply?

AMP: I joined Lady Spirithunters as a freshman. I attended one of the smallest high schools in Tampa, and was in the International Baccalaureate program which made that campus even smaller. I was overwhelmed by the enormity of Florida State and all that it has to offer. I was looking for some way to get involved on campus that made FSU feel smaller. I was the captain of my cheerleading team in high school, and when I walked passed a table covered with Garnet and Gold pompoms in the Union, it was love at first sight!

HC: What does your role as President entail?

AMP: As President, the majority of my responsibility is to oversee the rest of the Executive Board. I have a wonderful group of ladies leading the organization this year, which will make my job very easy! The President is the only member of the board that has served before as an alternate position, thus really making the President the glue of the team, and a support system for all the girls experiencing this leadership position for the first time.

Lady Spirithunters 2014 Executive Board at their new member mixer

HC: You just accepted 100 new members, what does this mean for LSH?

AMP: Hopefully many things! Lady Spirithunters is definitely in the middle of some ground breaking and expansive recruitment years. We have grown awareness of our organization throughout campus and the Tallahassee community and our numbers reflect that. You will be seeing a lot more of Lady Spirithunters in the near future so get excited!

HC: What are three major goals you want to accomplish with LSH this year as President?

AMP: First, I would like to keep the retention rates of our organization high. We would like to increase the participation and excitement in all of our events! We want to make sure that anyone and everyone throughout FSU knows who we are and what we do to benefit this beautiful school. Finally we want to continue making contacts with our University and throughout the community. The Lady Spirithunters have had the chance to be a part of and help with many amazing events and opportunities throughout campus and I would love to see that grow and continue!

Pollitt and fellow Spirithunters throw up their war stripes with President Barron and his wife, Molly

HC: What kind of impact does LSH have on FSU’s campus?

AMP: I believe that the Lady Spirithunters have an extremely positive impact on this campus. First off, Lady Spirithunters is an organization that is unique to Florida State, other schools don’t have organizations that provide the services, and opportunities that we do. We strive to bring spirit and become involved in any and every campus wide activity that we can. We love to bring smiles to people’s faces and remind all fans that there are people out there who love Florida State as much as they do! There is nothing more rewarding than seeing the true Seminole brought out in a shy fan when you paint their face.       

Pollitt execs a baseball painting and teaches some new recruits the best way to spread some Seminole spirit

HC: How does it feel overseeing 200 members and how do you accommodate that many girls?

AMP: When you say it like that, it seems like it would be much more of a taxing job than it is. I love this organization and I am very passionate about what it does. It can be difficult working to accommodate each of the 200 members individually but we make sure that we provide many different events and activities so each and every member can remember that they are an important and valued participant in our organization.

HC: Anything else you would like to say about being President or being in LSH?

AMP: I might be biased, but I believe without a doubt this organization is one of the best at FSU. Leading these wonderful women is an honor and privilege that I will be eternally grateful for.

Pollitt proudly wears her LSH vest and war stripes over looking the field from the University skyboxes

Her Campus at Florida State University.