Lady SpiritHunters: Changing Lives Vest by Vest

I knew from the moment I stepped onto Florida State that I was in love. It seemed like the sun always rose over Westcott and set over Doak. It was unbelievable. There were so many people who told me that college was going to be the best four years of my life.  Instantly, I knew they were right. However, what they never told me was that they could also be the loneliest. I didn’t have the comfort zone of my friends back home, or the arms of my mother. I was alone and hadn’t had to make new friends in almost a decade. Little did I know that a year later I would meet a game changer, a group of extraordinary women who would welcome me, love me and push me to be a better woman. Lady SpiritHunters is something so near and dear to me. Being in it only a small year, I already know that it has given me so much and will continue to.  So what are we? We’re a non-Greek, non-religious and non-political affiliated social, service and spirit based organization that wants to promote spirit and service in the Florida State campus and Tallahassee community. Why are we so great? I knew that you’d ask. Instead of me crying behind a computer and telling you who we are and all the reasons why you should join SpiritHunters and why this organization is so beautiful and a real gem at FSU, I thought I’d let them tell you. So here are SpiritHunters, my best friends, Disney lovers, dance partners, war stripe painters and the best women I’ve ever met, no contest. Once you’re done reading you’ll know why on Monday December 1st you should be in UCD 1101 at 7:30pm.

2014 Big Little Reveal

“This organization has given me so many great opportunities to experience friendship, service and leadership. From going to paintings to participating in Relay for Life to being made skit chair for Homecoming, LSH has allowed me to get involved with the FSU campus. I love this group of girls and I’m so proud to call myself a Lady SpiritHunter.”-Kayla Mays

2013 Elder Day Stay

“It’s definitely the best decision I’ve made here at Florida State and I’m honored that I get to be a part of it. My favorite memory is getting my little’s. I love them. It’s nice to know you always have that support.” –Aja Centrone (Vice President)

2014 Away Trip to NC State

“My favorite memory so far has to be the away trip. It was my first time going out of the state without my family. It brought me so much closer to the girls in the organization; you’re on the bus for more than 20 hours. When you’re undefeated and you go to an away game the spirit is electric and it’s just great. We love our school.” –Sydnee Robinson

Bruster’s Ice Cream  Fundraiser

“It’s a giant group of girls who bond and find a love for each other that’s all based around the love, pride and spirit we have for our University and we spend our time celebrating and giving back to that while building life long friendships along the way! I will be a bridesmaid in my first SpiritHunter wedding and I’m ecstatic, and I can’t wait to return the favor! I owe Lady SpiritHunters my whole future, and I’m so proud and blessed to be a part of such a wonderful family.” – Anne Marie Pollitt (President)

Loggers and Joggers LSH Bowling Social at Crenshaw Lanes

“We’re spirited, outgoing, caring, loving, fun. We want to make girls feel accepted and loved. We’re also here to serve a purpose, to promote spirit and serve the Seminole community. Kind of like a Seminole hype team, we paint war stripes on faces. We go hard in the paint. It’s only going to get better, when I joined three years ago we weren’t well known. Now, people reach out to us to do community service and athletic events.” –Lauren LaRocque (Tribal Chief – Merchandise and Community Service)

New Member Banquet 2014

“It kind of changed my life. I’ve got this support group that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. I’m 300 miles away from home and it’s like having a family here. I’m so grateful for SpiritHunters and LEROYYYYYYY.” –Abby Cullen

“I have never met such a great group of genuinely nice people that do so much for the community and each other. My first painting I was so nervous. Learning to paint faces correctly, it was so nerve wrecking but it was so wonderful because everyone was so supportive. It was so exciting to do that for the first time!” –Lindsay Phillips

2013 Presidents’ Retreat to Walt Disney World

“If I pass any of us, everyone is friendly, they wave, stop and chat. Even if you don’t know her every single girl is really genuinely nice and interested in getting to know you. I don’t know if I can say that about other organizations.” –Alahna Kessler

2014 LSH Masquerade Semi-Formal

“ I love SpiritHunters because of the people. We have so many opportunities to do things that we otherwise wouldn’t. I mean I was on the field this year for a football game escorting football parents, along with working skyboxes and traveling to away games. It’s just great; they’re the most genuine group of girls I’ve ever met. It’s where I met my best friend, Katie Goldberg. I don’t know what my life would be without her or without SpiritHunters.” –Delaney Webb

2014 Big/Little Reveal

“I always think to myself what would have happened if I didn’t apply? They’ve made my time at Florida State so worthwhile, fun, memorable, fantastic, and overall loving. They gave me the courage to be part of something bigger than me and excel in that. It’s honestly been life-changingly beautiful.  SpiritHunters will never die. It’s an organization that has been around for so long and it’s only been getting stronger as time passes by.” –Monika Nunez-Castilla

SpiritHunters working Skyboxes

“Skyboxes are my favorite thing about being a SpiritHunter. I have worked with the same box for three years now. They’re just so nice and they want to tell you all of their stories. Now that I’m graduating they’ve all said “give me your resume, I want to pass it along to all these people” It’s just such a great opportunity. Lady SpiritHunters is the most awesome organization and you should totally join.” –Halsey Kinne

Big/Little Reveal

“While it is scary as a freshman to just talk to people and do things. You just have to do it. At mixer [part of the application process] everyone there is willing to talk to you, old members would love to talk to you. Go to everything and put yourself out there a little bit. Everyone is so welcoming, it’s pure excitement.”-Jasmine Crane

SpiritHunter Graduation Photo Shoot

“[Laughs] My favorite moment was big little sleepover and it was right after I got my twin and my big and we did a dance to a Beyoncé/Alvin and the Chipmunks version of Drunk in Love and it was just so funny. It was fun to goof off with all the other girls and it was a real bonding moment.” –Miranda Lensky

LSH Fall 2014 Semi-formal

“I love SpiritHunters because everyone I meet in there is amazing. Everyone is so unique, has their own style and is ambitious. They’re so nice and welcoming and kind. I’ve made really great friends and experiences. I’d hate to think what my life at FSU would be without them. It would be kind of sad, I’m sure I would have found something else but I don’t know if it would be as great or as perfect for me. It has really made my college experience.” –Nora  Fanfalone

2014 Away Trip to NC State

“Sometimes we forget that we actually impact people, you don’t actively think about it. When you’re going through a rough time and girls you don’t even realize know who you are come to your side and support you, it’s life changing. I can’t express the support I’ve gotten and how appreciative I am. I wouldn’t be able to find strength in my toughest situations without SpiritHunters. How I am so lucky?” –Julianne Simson

Love us? Join us. Come to our information session on December 1st 2014 at 7:30 pm in UCD 1101!

https://www.facebook.com/events/550809018396283/

XOXO Spirthunters

Janecia Britt, originally from Tampa, FL is a junior at Florida State who’s enchanted by all things fashion, interior design and art. Majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communication, she has big goals to move to NYC after graduation. She's a brand ambassador for eff.y.bee jewelry, a member of the Victoria Secret PINK Street Team and a Lady SpiritHunter! When she’s not writing for HerCampus, she is baking, crafting and cooking for her friends. You can find her taking Step and Pilates classes at the Leach or canvassing all the boutiques of Tallahassee. She’s a busy bee but puts her heart and soul into everything she does (including her infamous desserts).
Her Campus at Florida State University.