Lady Gaga Gets the Last Laugh on Super Bowl Body Shamers

Welcome to your one stop shop regarding everything health and fitness. Weekly to bi-weekly, “Training with Tara” will support our readers’ needs of fitness inspiration, workout guides, healthy meals and more. So don’t be afraid to send in requests for next week’s column; we’ll be glad to accommodate.

The Super Bowl brought in an astounding and network-breaking record of 172 million total viewers for all or parts of the game. It is predicted to be the most-watched televised event of 2017. Even though this high rating could be linked back to the Super Bowl’s first ever overtime, it could also be associated to the fact that Lady Gaga stole the show during her halftime performance, giving her the title of the second most-watched halftime show in Super Bowl history.

With her performance being considered one of the best in recent times, Lady Gaga brought down the house with her killer—and yes live—vocals and was the first performer to utilize drone technology into a show. She had the courage to involve aerial stunts such as her fall from the top of the stadium and was even able to take a strong political stance within her short, but mesmerizing 15-minute performance. But sadly, only moments after her costume change, all of the previous things that were mentioned before were overthrown by the sheer fact that her outfit exposed her barely-there stomach. People took to twitter to express their opinion of Lady Gaga’s physical appearance instead of talent and dedication to her craft and stance on human equality.

Courtesy: TMZ

It’s surprising to believe that the female physical appearance is still one if not the top factor when considering success in today’s everyday and celebrity culture. In today’s society, the ideal body type can be described as having a “flat stomach,” being “healthy skinny,” but also having the physique to hold large breasts and have a round bum. When a woman doesn’t hold up to these standards, especially one seen in the public eye, such as Lady Gaga, it can create unwanted attention that puts the person’s accomplishments on the backburner. Even a world-renowned person such as Stefano Gabbana, the fashion designer and co-founder of Dolce & Gabbana, took to social media to criticize Lady Gaga’s stomach and has only recently apologized for his comments due to backlash that would in turn affect his brand image.

But it’s safe to say that Lady Gaga will be having the last laugh. In a statement posted to Instagram on Feb. 8, she addresses how her body has been a topic of conversation. In her caption she states, “I’m proud of my body and you should be proud too.” She goes on to encourage body confidence and positivity to her fans, and even her haters, when she writes “No matter who you are or what you do…Be you, and be relentlessly you.”

Courtesy: Instagram

Since the Super Bowl has taken place, Gaga’s music sales have successfully surged with approximately 150,000 songs and album download, announced that she will be embarking on a world tour, and boasted some body shaming revenge by rocking a ultra-revealing outfit during the Grammy’s this Sunday night. So long story short, never mess with Lady Gaga – she’ll win the argument easily.

Courtesy: Mercury News
Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.