Kristen Marchena: Future Plastic Surgeon

Name: Kristen Marchena

Age: 19

Major: Biological Sciences

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Port Orange, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Favorite Quote: “Live today, for tomorrow it will be history” – Proverb

Her Campus (HC): So, you are a science major! Do you plan on going into the medical field?

Kristen Marchena (KM): I guess you could say that! [Laughs] I’m aiming to become a plastic surgeon. Either that or epidemiology. I’ve always been into medical shows like Grey’s Anatomy.

HC: Epidmiology? I haven’t heard of that before, mind going into it a little bit?

KM: Of course! So basically, it’s doing health-based research on diseases. So it’s the complete opposite of plastic surgery. Plastic surgery is obviously more hands on because you are working directly with a patient. Epidemiology is more behind the scenes work, since you’re in a lab doing experiments as a way of research.

HC: Both of those sound like really intimidating occupations! Are you doing anything to get any experience?

KM: As of right now, no. When I go back home for the summer, though, I plan on trying to get some experience at my local hospital to help narrow down the choices, but I’ve been pretty set on plastic surgeon since I was young! There are also some clubs on campus that I am interested in becoming a part of like the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA) and American Medical Student Association (AMSA).

HC: When we spoke earlier, you mentioned that you applied for a position as a tour guide on campus. What made you decide to do that?

KM: Yeah I did! Well, when I was here for orientation the idea of touring people just really stuck with me. I know being an orientation leader and a tour guide are different, but when I did my own research on tour guides for FSU I felt that would be a better option for me. Orientation usually happens during the summer and tour guides are pretty much year-round. I haven’t found out whether I got the position yet, but I feel like I have a good chance.

HC: Good luck to you then, girl! Speaking of orientation, is there any advice you’d like to give those incoming freshman?

KM: Thanks! Maybe to make the most of your experience? [Laughs] I know it sounds cliché, but the idea is definitely relevant. College goes by fast, so it’s really important to find people who you click with and make lasting friendships. Take advantage of all the opportunities that you are given, and definitely don’t slack off! Other than that, just enjoy the ride!

Student at Florida State. Lover of fashion and everything sarcastic. Aspiring magazine editor.
Her Campus at Florida State University.