Returning home for Thanksgiving, the family and I decided to go to the movie theater to watch Rian Johnson’s film Knives Out. I knew very little about the film since it’s difficult to keep up with all the new releases while also juggling two majors. Thus, I walked in simply thinking it was a film similar to the Clue board game, which alone enticed me. When I was little, we really liked getting together to play the board game. I always made sure I got to be Miss Scarlet.

First and foremost, the film includes a number of well-known actors. Not only does Daniel Craig play private investigator Benoit Blanc, but Jamie Lee Curtis plays Linda Drysdale, Chris Evans is Ransom Drysdale, and Ana de Armas is the sweet nurse Marta. Christopher Plummer from The Sound of Music is also in the film as Harlan Thrombey, and he is the character in the film who brings the rest of the cast together. Katherine Langford from 13 Reasons Why appears too as the struggling, feminist college student. LaKeith Stanfield is a police officer investigating the scene as well, and, finally, Jaeden Martell, who is famously known for his role in Stephen King’s movie adaptation of It, plays the odd teenager no one is comfortable around. All in all, it is clear that casting director Mary Vernieu selected excellent actors to be in the film.

The film is a whodunit film in which the plot is driven by solving the puzzle of a murder mystery. At the beginning of the film—which we learn from the trailer as well—the audience learns that Harlan Thrombey is killed, and private investigator Blanc interrogates each person in the household to determine who is behind Harlan’s death. Harlan’s demise occurred following a party hosted to celebrate his birthday, and his whole family attended the gathering.

Throughout the film, you learn that each member of the family had some complications with Harlan, which adds to the mystery because it can be seen that anyone could have murdered Harlan.

Aside from being a murder mystery film, Knives Out is also comedic. Each character throughout the movie had funny lines that helped with developing their character. Johnson’s decision to add comedy also helps with keeping the audience interested. If too rigid, the audience would not be interested in the mystery for too long. The humor added to caring for the characters and the plot, too. It also made the viewing experience more enjoyable. Blanc’s southern accent and Joni’s whimsical hippiness truly made me giggle throughout the 130 minutes.

If you are looking for a wonderful film to watch either with the family when returning home for the holidays or with friends to de-stress from finals week, consider watching Knives Out. It’s a brilliant film that will keep you on your toes guessing as well as laughing with whoever you decide to go with. You can even go by yourself and have a great time! Trust me, you will love this movie. You’ll be asking for more whodunit films next year and be thankful for the revival of the genre by Rian Johnson.

All images courtesy of Claire Folger.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Jocelyn is a senior at FSU studying Editing, Writing, and Media (EWM) and Chinese as well as seeking her TESOL certification with the Department of Education. If not studying or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her black cat Salem watching YouTube videos.
Her Campus at Florida State University.