Six months ago, Lionsgate released the first trailer of I Still Believe. At first glance, it is presented as a faith-based film. Like most, these are often based on true events. I Still Believe is no different. Starring KJ Apa as contemporary Christian artist Jeremy Camp and Britt Robertson as Melissa Henning, Camp’s love interest/wife. This film tells the love story of Jeremy and Melissa as Melissa battles cancer. Jon Erwin, the filmmaker, explained how this movie grapples with the longstanding question that has kept people away from God, the question of why tragedy occurs. According to BP News, he expressed his views on the concept and stated “I think we forget so many times that there is a beauty, and a purpose, and a meaning in the difficult things we go through. And that sometimes God uses those things more than He uses the good things that happen to shape us, to mold us and to give us our voice.”

KJ Apa and Britt Robertson sitting down as their characters played in “I Still Believe.” Apa is holding a guitar and Robertson is reading a book.
God Tube

I’m really excited to see this concept come to life on screen. I know many people, myself included, often question the purpose of a situation that comes to life that’s unexpected. I always blame God first. Sometimes I forget all my faith I have in Him and just turn away completely. When something goes my way, I know God is on my side, but then everything turns upside down, and who do I have to blame? I Still Believe is going to give myself and others the opportunity to see how Jeremy’s faith was tested in every possible way. The film is said to be very popular and many are anxious to see it. It is the first faith-based movie to open in IMAX. Scott Mendelson, a senior contributor in Hollywood & Entertainment wrote, “Lionsgate is using IMAX to designate that I Still Believe is declaring itself to be the big mainstream faith-based drama of the year.” This is all contributing to the main idea that there is a growing appreciation of Christian entertainment in the film industry. Erwin expressed, “God is moving in Hollywood, in the entertainment industry, like I’ve not seen before.”

Apa even expressed to People how the love story between Camp and Melissa attracted him to this project. He talked about how he hoped the audience would be moved by their love story, especially since it was put to the test. In regard to the film itself, he gave a snippet of what it means to him. Apa stated, “I Still Believe is about journeying through your biggest fears and disappointments and coming out still believing. I believe that anyone, everyone can relate to this film because it’s a story about love, loss, and hope.”

I Still Believe hits theatres on Mar.13 and many are excited to see the story of Jeremy and Melissa come to life on screen. Be sure to check out the trailer here!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Victoria Cardoso is an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. When she’s not writing for Her Campus FSU, she’s probably watching Harry Potter, reading a book, or eating a slice of pizza.
Her Campus at Florida State University.