person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Kiernan Doyle: SNL’s Future Comedic Screenwriter

Name: Kiernan Doyle

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Hometown: Clearwater, FL

Major: English (Editing, Writing & Media), Media & Communications Studies

Her Campus (HC): Let’s jump right into it! What activities or clubs are you involved with on campus?

Kiernan Doyle (KD): I actually work in Kellum Hall at the front desk. Last year, I was an RA. It was a really great experience and I met some awesome people that really changed me for the better. This year, I’m serving as an Executive Board member for the Catholic Student Union. It’s been such a fruitful year of service. My fellow E-Board members are some of the coolest people I’ve ever met and have become some of my closest friends. I started attending the Catholic Student Union my freshman year. The guys and girls that I’ve met through CSU have been some of the most welcoming and genuinely compassionate people I’ve ever met. They took me in and invited me to be part of their community. I found a home through CSU.

HC: Tell us more about being on Executive Board for the Catholic Student Union. If we wanted to get involved, how would we go about doing this?

KD: Yeah, sure! It’s a really cool and unique organization in the sense that we collaborate as an Executive Board with some campus ministers and religious life. Our community is fortunate enough to have the Brotherhood of Hope at our parish. The Brotherhood of Hope is a group of religious brothers whose ministry centers on outreach to collegiate students. Getting to work with them has been really encouraging. If you’re looking to get involved with the Catholic Student Union, we’re a well-rounded campus entity that’s involved in things like IM sports and Homecoming. We also host our own events like retreats, men’s and women’s groups, and bible studies to name a few. Our weekly meetings are on Wednesday nights at 8pm at St. Thomas More Church in the Social Hall. There’s more info about us at their website.

HC: So you’re the historian and do all of the photography. When did you start your photography journey?

KD: Yeah. I take pictures at the events. My goal is to accurately present what our community does for the year. If you’re interested in seeing some pictures and stuff, check out our table at Market Wednesday! We’re there every week. I started photography in middle school. I’ve always enjoyed capturing people when they’re in the moment and getting their real emotions. I was the Editor-In-Chief of my high school yearbook, which really helped me hone in my talents in photography.

HC: Nice. Summer is right around the corner. Have any plans?

KD: Yeah! I’m actually studying abroad in London this summer. I’m super pumped to go!

HC: That’s exciting! How did you hear about the study abroad program in London?

KD: It’s always something that I’ve wanted to do. From an early age, I’ve been fascinated with travel and experiencing different cultures. My family goes on a family road trip each summer. One time we drove to Arizona. It was exactly as tiring of a drive as it sounds. I have three younger siblings who I love dearly, but I seriously contemplated throwing them into the Grand Canyon when we finally got there. There’s only so much one-on-one time in a Toyota mini-van you can take before snapping. Anyways, I like going to places and exploring. So I did some research and I saw that FSU study abroad was a thing I could do! I’m partially banking on the chance that I’ll meet Emma Watson and we’ll really hit it off.

HC: You stated you’re a double major studying English (Editing, Writing & Media) and Media & Communications Studies. What made you take on a double major?

KD: Yeah, two majors that focus on media. I’m really putting all my eggs in one basket here. I’m doing Media and Communications studies to learn a little more about media industries. I’m doing EWM because it’s part of the English department and I want to improve some of my writing skills. With all this in mind, it just made sense that I’d pursue a double major.

HC: Would you say that it’s manageable completing two majors as an undergrad?

KD: It hasn’t been that bad actually. The things that I’m learning in both majors are applicable to each other and are subjects that I’m generally interested in. My only advice to anyone thinking about doing a double major would be to make sure you don’t take too many English classes at the same time unless you want an endless flow of papers. Also, English professors think that anything under 1000 words is a walk in the park. They don’t even call it a paper. They’ll call it something like a journal or discussion.

HC: After college, what do you plan to do?

KD: I’ve gotten really good at answering this one since my grandmother, relatives, and strangers are all genuinely concerned with the answer. Well my goal is to do something in screenwriting. I’m originally from Broad Channel, which is in Queens, New York. My extended family still lives there. When I graduate, I’m going to move back to New York. It’s the perfect place to be with my interests. My secret life goal has always been to write for Saturday Night Live. When I’m finished at FSU, I’m going to start taking classes with Upright Citizens Brigade, which is a type of jump off point towards fulfilling that dream of working for SNL.

HC: What is the Upright Citizens Brigade? And where is it located?

KD: Upright Citizens Brigade is a school of improvisation and sketch writing founded by Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts, Matt Besser and Matt Walsh. It’s in Manhattan and I think also Chicago. It’s a registered school where you learn some of the essentials to comedy writing and acting. A lot of UCB’s alumni have gone on to act and write for shows like Saturday Night Live, Parks and Recreation, and Key and Peele. Aubrey Plaza, Aziz Anzari and Bobby Monahan are some famous alumni to name a few.

HC: Besides the obvious, why do you want to write for SNL?

KD: Writing for SNL has always been that goal that I’ve set for myself in the future. It’s been like, “get a degree and work hard and one day you can work for SNL.” It’s always hovered out there in the distant future for me. As that time draws nearer and nearer, it’s started to transition into something that I’m going to have to figure out soon. I guess what’s so attractive to me is how much of an established institution SNL has always been. That would be so cool to be part of that legacy one day.

HC: Okay, now for the less serious questions. Who’s you favorite SNL character?

KD: Stefan. Hands down. Drops mic.

HC: Why do you say that?

KD: Bill Hader’s character Stefan is just so hysterical in nature. If you don’t know about Stefan, Bill Hader plays the SNL Weekend Update City Correspondent. Stefan is supposed to present wholesome family activities during his bit. Instead, he highlights some of his own interests, which always include some really awkward and disturbing nightclubs. The reason I really point to Stefan as my favorite character is because it’s one of those rare moments on SNL where you get to see the actor/writer relationship shine. The writers add in jokes for Bill Hader to read during the skit. Bill Hader is seeing some of the jokes for the first time while he’s reading them. It’s great seeing him fight back laughter.

HC: If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

KD: Amazing. Brave. Humble.

HC: If you could go back to any time period, who would you want to meet?

KD: I would go to the early 2000s, meet an adolescent version of myself and tell him to get a damn haircut and stop wearing flip flops to school everyday.

HC: And finally, what is a quote that you live by?

KD: “Take your risks now, as you grow older you become more fearful and less flexible – and I mean that literally. I hurt my knee on the treadmill this week – and it wasn’t even on.” – Amy Poehler.

Anjelica MacGregor attends Florida State University as a Junior studying English: Editing, Writing & Media. She is a notable writer who loves writing about everyday life. When she is not writing about the latest trends, she can be found soaking in the sun or breaking a sweat at the local gym. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.