Kiara Talancha: International Programs Alumna with a Passion for Sociology

Name: Kiara Talancha

Year: Junior

Age: 22

Majors: Sociology and International Affairs

Hometown: Born in Lima, Peru, but moved to Miami when she was 8 years old

Star Sign: Pisces

Photo By: Annie Gafe

Her Campus (HC): Hello Kiara, what organizations or recreational activities are you involved with?  

Kiara Talancha (KT): I am a pledge assistant to Phil Pfeffer pledge class of Alpha Phi Omega, Iota Rho. I am also the Vice President of Public Relations for FSU Professional Fraternity Council. In addition, I am a student recruiter for International Programs at FSU. I am also Garnet and Gold Scholar, but that is not until later. I will become one by the time I graduate.

HC: How did you become involved with the International Programs at FSU?

KT: I studied abroad my first semester in London, England, and once I came back to campus in the Spring I knew I wanted to share my experience to everyone that would listen. I even made a PowerPoint presentation to one of my suitemates before she went and studied abroad. I applied my freshman year and didn’t get it because I was an underclassman, but I did not give up and applied again the next year and I got it! I wanted to stay in England so badly! But because of immigration problems, I was not allowed to. Back then I didn’t understand, but since working with them, I totally do now.

HC: What made you interested in becoming a Garnet and Gold Scholar?

KT: When I came back from studying abroad, I felt a bit lost because I was just new to the campus. So, to distract myself, I found different ways that I could use my studying abroad experience for the better, and that is when I found Garnet and Gold Scholars. I am doing international, service, and either research or leadership (I’m still trying to figure that one out).

HC: What kind of job do you hope to get after you graduate?

KT: I want to become a researcher in sociology and focus on studying immigrants and race/ethnicity in United States. They are getting bigger and bigger in United States and yet, there is not enough information on them, so I want to know more on how they are established here and how they identify themselves here.

HC: Do you hope on working internationally in the future?

KT: I hope to land a job in London with the study centre if I can, but if not, I just want to travel as much as possible. Studying abroad gave me the opportunity to feel like I can do anything anywhere and know that I am going to be alright.

HC: Where else is on your mind to travel to and why?

KT: This might sound cliché, but I want to go back to Peru. It is where I was born and I just want to go and see family, and possibly take some friends to Machu Picchu so that they can experience my culture that is far better than what a textbook would tell you. My cousins were here last month and they told me how much they want me to go and visit Lima. It has been too long, so I have to go back!

HC: Is there anything else you would like mentioned?

KT: Studying abroad opened doors to me that, otherwise, I would not have been able to even see. So I always thank International Programs and my family for pushing me to do it.

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.