It’s that wonderful time of the year when tons of artists are releasing new music and announcing their tours, but one artist, in particular, is claiming his well-deserved spot at the top of the charts. 21-year-old Khalid has made a name for himself in the music industry since his debut of “Location” in 2016. Now, the Grammy-nominated singer is back with his second studio album and a short film.

A little over two years after he released his debut album American Teen, Khalid released his highly anticipated second album Free Spirit. The album is a follow-up to his very successful EP “Suncity” that was released late 2018. Along with the album, he released a 46-minute short-film for one day only in theaters. No need to worry if you missed the showing, he posted the entire short film to his YouTube channel the day he released the album. This short film chronicles the stories told in each of the songs on the album, bringing Khalid’s music to life in a way that he’s never done before.

Courtesy: YouTube

This is also the first time Khalid has featured artists on an album! His track “Outta My Mind” features the lovely John Mayer and “Don’t Pretend” features up-and-coming artists SAFE. Some songs were featured on his Suncity EP like “Saturday Nights” and “Better.” According to a recent Billboard article, this album could become his first #1 album on the Billboard 200 chart.

Along with a soon-to-be record-breaking album, Khalid announced a world tour starting Summer 2019. The Free Spirit World Tour kicks off in Gulf Shores, Alabama on May 18 and stops at a few venues near Tallahassee. If you’re in the mood for a road trip to experience the incredible music of Khalid live, you might want to consider getting tickets to his Atlanta, Orlando or Miami dates. Plus, each concert ticket purchase on his website includes a CD copy of the album! Talk about a loving king?!

Courtesy: Beyond The Stage Magazine

The R&B singer is also set to perform both weekends for Coachella’s 20th anniversary and is this year’s Road to Coachella artist. This will be his first time headlining his own performance at the legendary music festival after having surprised fans with a guest appearance during SZA’s set last year. As part of his partnership with Coachella and BMW, a customized BMWi8 was wrapped in artwork from his latest album that he designed himself!

With summer break just around the corner, a Khalid concert sounds like the perfect way to spend a night with your best friends. If you haven’t given this album a listen yet, I highly suggest you do. While you’re at it, check out the short film too. I guarantee you’ll find yourself listening to it on repeat for the next few weeks!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.