*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

Being young collegiettes ourselves, we tend to hear a lot about sexual assault and abuse on college campuses. It is a concern that is being talked about more openly and, over the past few years, has been given the right attention. In April 2014, the White House published a report bearing the name “Not Alone” in an attempt to create transparency on the issue of sexual assault on campuses in order to curb the number of incidents. Even though there is now more sexual assault awareness, there are still times at which sexual assault is overlooked.

Courtesy: E! Online

After a long legal battle, Kesha Sebert (known as “Ke$ha”) was given the decision by Judge Shirley Kornreich just this past week on Feb. 19 on whether she would have to continue to work with her music producer, Dr. Luke (Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald). Kesha made allegations against Dr. Luke that he had sexually assaulted and abused her mentally and physically during the time in which she worked with him. However, her testimony alone was not enough and Judge Kornreich decided that Kesha is legally obligated to stay with her producer as stated in her contract with Sony according to Rolling Stone.

Not only fans of Kesha, but also many others have been rattled by the decision. Many took to social media to support by creating the now-trending hashtag: #FreeKesha. Even other artists of the music industry have shown their support towards Kesha, including Lady GaGa, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift and, most recently, Adele. All have all spoken in solidarity with Kesha.

Courtesy: Cosmopolitan

Unforuntatley, sexual assult tends to fall into the rhetoric of “he said she said.” There is a floating notion that Kesha’s allegations against Dr. Luke are false just so she can get out of her contract. The contract Kesha is trying to get out of states that she is to produce six albums with Sony and music producer, Dr. Luke, of which she has only produced two. Dr. Luke has taken to Twitter to fight back saying, “I didn’t rape Kesha.” 

In order to come to an agreement, Sony has said that Kesha can produce with other music producers aside from Dr. Luke, but she will still be obligated to her contract under Sony. Sony is simply trying to give Kesha the freedom she so desperately wants from Dr. Luke. Although Kesha would not be producing with Dr. Luke himself, her album would still be “produced” under her alleged abuser, ultimately tying Dr. Luke to her life.

Sexual assault allegations should be taken seriously. Not only does this situation have damaging affects for Kesha, but also for others who may feel as if no one will believe their stories of assault and abuse.

Courtesy: Daily Mail

My name is Zahra. Love the color green and love FSU
Her Campus at Florida State University.