Kendrick Lamar announces Black Panther: The Album

If you’re into superhero movies, one of the first things that probably caught your attention when you watched the Black Panther trailer for the first time was how hard the music went. Immediately, the music in the trailer got my blood pumping and made me hyped for the movie to come. Since the first trailer was released, I have literally spent hours trying to dig up the remix of “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” by Gil Scott-Heron to, sadly, no avail. If the music they’re using in the trailer is this fantastic, I can’t even imagine what’s in store for the actual movie.

Last Wednesday, Jan. 31, Kendrick Lamar dropped the tracklist and cover art for Marvel’s latest and most anticipated movie, and it is everything we could have dreamed of. Lamar is featured on five tracks and has worked as a co-producer for this soundtrack alongside Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith, the head of the Top Dawg Entertainment label. The soundtrack is a collaborative effort of Lamar, Tiffith and the movie’s director, Ryan Coogler. 

Courtesy: Kendrick Lamar

Other artists featured alongside Kendrick Lamar on the 14-track album include 2 Chainz, Khalid, Future, Anderson Paak, Vince Staples, the Weeknd and SZA. So far, two of the songs have already been released: “All The Stars” by Kendrick Lamar and SZA and “King’s Dead” by Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future and James Blake.

One song on the album, “Redemption Interlude,” has not yet had an artist associated with it and there have been several rumors rumbling around that Beyoncé may have something to do with it. Over the Grammys weekend, the rumors of Beyoncé’s possible involvement stirred, as the day before the show, she posted pictures on Instagram in diamond studded Black Panther earrings. Also, on the day of the Grammys, her outfit featured a black panther shaped clutch, so a lot fans are hoping this is Queen B hinting at her involvement in the Black Panther soundtrack. However, sadly, nothing has actually been confirmed about her involvement with the project, and her allusions to black panthers could easily be a reference to the Black Panther Party instead of the comic book and movie.

The tracklist for Black Panther: The Album is as follows:

1.  “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar
  2.  “All The Stars” by Kendrick Lamas and SZA
  3.  “X” by ScHoolBoy Q, 2 Chainz and Saudi
  4.  “The Ways” by Khalid and Swae Lee
  5.  “Opps” by Vince Staples and Yugen Blakrok
  6.  “I Am” by Jorja Smith
  7.  “Paramedic!” by SOB x RBE
  8.  “Bloody Waters” by Ab-Soul, Anderson .Paak and James Blake
  9.  “King’s Dead” by Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future and James Blake
  10.  “Redemption Interlude” by unknown
  11.  “Redemption”by Zicari and Babes Wodumo
  12.  “Seasons” by Mozzy, Sjava and Reason
  13.  “Big Shot” by Kendrick Lamar and Travis Scott
  14.  “Pray For Me” by The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar

Courtesy: Kendrick Lamar

Black Panther: The Album drops Friday, Feb. 9, via Interscope Records. Marvel’s Black Panther hits theaters nationwide on Friday, Feb. 16.

Elizabeth is an Editing, Writing, and Media and Media/Communications double major at Florida State University who has hopes of working in the publishing or journalism field in the future. When she's not stressing over school or the future she likes to play Stardew Valley and listen to NPR podcasts.
Her Campus at Florida State University.