bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Keeping Your New Year’s Resolution

It’s the week after Valentine’s Day. You either ate your weight in chocolate because 1) you’re single or 2) your S.O. makes you feel beautiful no matter what. Either reason is perfectly valid for downing a box of chocolate and a bottle of champagne. Unfortunately, this is around the time you start to remember that you set resolutions for yourself about a month and a half ago. Remember that whole “new year, new you” business? Well if you haven’t completely given up yet here are some tips to help you stay on track.

1. Stay organized

The more time you spend trying to get your life together, the less time you will spend on your resolutions. The more organized you are, the more time you will find that you have for yourself. Also, staying organized helps keep your stress levels low. The more unorganized you are, the more you will rush and may even feel more anxiety on a daily basis. Plus, it allows you to worry less. Besides, who doesn’t love feeling like you have it all together? …at least, on the outside.

2. Make sure your goals are reasonable 

Make sure your goals aren’t too big. I know a big resolution that we all take on is losing weight. If that’s the case, make sure you are being reasonable with yourself. Don’t expect to lose 30 pounds in a month. Set small goals and celebrate reaching those milestones. Don’t reach for something too big all at once, because the chances of failing and getting discouraged are greater. Remember you can do this, just take baby steps. It will be worth it in the long run.

3. Remember why you started

You started on the journey for a reason. You wanted something badly enough to start a resolution. You also probably told a lot of people. We all know people have to ask what our resolutions are. You clearly saw an end goal and you want it. Remember why you started this and you will see yourself through. Nothing that you want will come easily, so keep pushing.

4. Reflect: Are they your goals?

You have to make sure these are your goals. I know it is so easy at the college age to get wrapped up in what other people want from you. There is so much pressure from social media, family and other outside sources telling you what you should be working toward. You need to reflect on whether or not you started these resolutions for yourself or for someone else. Your resolutions should help better yourself in the end. Try not to set goals to please other people. At the end of the day, you are the only one who can decide whether you feel good about yourself and your accomplishments.

5. Make a list

This is probably the tip that I use most often for myself. Make a list. Start at the top with the most pressing things that need to be done. The one item you want to accomplish most put at the very top. Making a list helps you prioritize what needs to be done in a day. It helps you visualize what exactly you want to achieve. It is also satisfying to see yourself checking off those to-dos. A simple check mark can do a lot for your self-esteem.

Keeping your resolutions is not easy. Change is difficult, but that is exactly why we chose the resolutions that we did. We want to push to change and better ourselves. Resolutions test us to see how bad we really do want something. If you can push through and work on keeping your resolutions, you will hopefully see a positive change in your life and your overall wellbeing. Good luck!

All images courtesy of Giphy.

Her Campus at Florida State University.