Keeping up With the Bridgertons: First Look at Season Two

On Sep. 25, Netflix finally revealed an inside look at their upcoming work and surprised many Bridgerton fans. If you didn’t know, Bridgerton is a Netflix original series set in Regency Era London and is classified as a historical romance. Based on author Julia Quinn’s novels, the television series has garnered a large fan base and become one of the biggest shows on Netflix.

The first season followed Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe Dynevor, and her romance with the Duke of Hastings, played by Regé-Jean Page. After a well-received first season, the story of the Bridgerton family does not stop there. 

Quinn wrote eight novels with each focusing on a different member of the family. For now, Netflix has given the green light for at least two more seasons. At their TUDUM event near the end of September, Netflix gave the first look at season two of Bridgerton, which is set to release next year. The video features season two’s leading couple, Anthony Bridgerton, played by Jonathan Bailey, and Kate Sharma, played by Simone Ashley. Like Bailey, Ashley already has a presence on Netflix in her role as Olivia Hanan in Sex Education. In the short clip, the actors showcase their talents alongside each other as a preview to the second season of Bridgerton

Following the energy of season one, it seems that the sequel season will explore a couple that has a bumpy start. Throughout the clip, Anthony and Kate trade snide remarks, while constantly trying to get the upper hand. Kate expresses her disappointment in Anthony’s superficial comments about finding a wife, which he deflects by referencing her eavesdropping. Unphased by his rebuttal, Kate goes on to speak her mind and reveal exactly what she thinks about the viscount. As a result, fans can expect a season filled with plenty of drama, attitude and heart-stopping romance.

Staying loyal to the period drama genre, Netflix looks to be drawing on the tension between these two strong personalities in hopes of creating a riveting season for their dedicated fans. After his introduction in the first season, Anthony’s leading role in season two allows the audience to learn more about the character and his motivations. Yet, Kate Sharma has a clean slate with much to be revealed.

The Sharma family breaks the monotony of the on-screen depiction of London, by introducing a completely new family that audiences know little to nothing about. Furthermore, as an Indian family, historians explain that the casting is historically accurate for the show. The Sharma family is considerably smaller than the Bridgertons, consisting of Kate, her sister Edwina and their mother Mary. Following their move, it appears as though the Sharma family will face some triumphs when becoming acquainted with the other families in London.

During an interview with MSNBC, Charithra Chandran, who plays Edwina Sharma, explains that the family has different experiences than the families we came to know in season one, but the women manage to remain authentic to who they are throughout the show. The added drama of London’s courting season should make for an interesting journey. While they gain their new footing, it appears that Kate’s romance with Anthony will take center stage, even if it takes a while for them to realize it. Come next year, audiences can watch the latest adaptation in Quinn’s series when Bridgerton season two is released on Netflix.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

A senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Media Communication Studies with a minor in English.