It seems that 2020 could end up being a monumental year for the music industry. In January alone, we have seen the release of albums by Selena Gomez, Lil Wayne, Halsey, Eminem and other notable artists and bands. A lot of big names in music have already either teased or confirmed the release of new music in the upcoming year. Here are a few album releases to look forward to in the next two weeks.

Courtesy: Natalie Cardona

Father of All… by Green Day

Release Date: Feb. 7

Genre: Rock

This will mark the release of Green Day’s 13th studio album since their start in 1986. In those 30+ years, the band has experienced successes, failures and everything in between. Three singles have been released from Father of All… and each has been received well by listeners. In the band’s interview with Rolling Stone, they say the album’s sound can be characterized by a combination of their signature “bedrock punk sound” and experimentation with some more contemporary styles. Green Day will present Father of All… on tour with Weezer and Fall Out Boy this summer.

Perdida by Stone Temple Pilots

Release Date: Feb. 7

Genre: Rock

Perdida, named after the Spanish term for “loss,” is said to be a fully acoustic record – which is a noteworthy choice for a rock band. This will be the second album released under the band’s new lead vocalist, Jeff Gutt, since their 2018 album, Stone Temple Pilots. Perdida is said to be inspired by both the heartbreak of romantic relationships and tragedy of the losses of Scott Weiland and Chester Bennington, two former lead singers of the band.

Supervision by La Roux

Release Date: Feb. 7

Genre: Pop

This Friday, La Roux is releasing her third studio album after five years.  Although she has collaborated with other artists during that time, she has not released any solo material until the singles for Supervision. She tells The Fader about overcoming her fear to re-enter the industry, saying “I used to be so scared of everything, and I’ve learned to let go of that… I ended up making an album where I could talk about the things I’m sad about, upset by, angry at.”

The Slow Rush by Tame Impala

Release Date: Feb. 14

Genre: Alternative

Tame Impala’s long-awaited album, The Slow Rush is expected to drop next Friday. Kevin Parker, the mastermind behind Tame Impala, announced that he would be taking an extended break back in 2016. In March of 2019, he officially returned from his hiatus with the release of “Patience.” Following the overwhelming success of his 2015 album, Currents, fans have high expectations for his new work. Four singles from The Slow Rush have been released and have prompted very positive feedback from listeners.

Changes by Justin Bieber

Release Date: Feb. 14

Genre: Pop

Justin Bieber’s fifth studio album, Changes, has been the most highly publicized out of all the albums on this list. In combination with the release of his YouTube documentary series, Justin Bieber: Seasons, and the hype surrounding his recent singles and upcoming summer tour, fans are in high anticipation of the album. Bieber’s overall sound has evolved significantly from the span of his first album release in 2009 to his most recent 2015 album, Purpose. Based on the sound of his new singles from Changes, it seems that Bieber’s style has evolved even more.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing & Media major at Florida State University
Her Campus at Florida State University.