Keep Calm and Take a Walk

Can you feel it in the air? Fall season has officially begun to creep up on us. The good news: you have made it through half way of the semester, and Halloween is right around the corner. The bad news: there is still another chunk of the semester left, meaning we must garner all the liquid energy we can – a.k.a. caffeine – to get through those papers, exams, and dreaded group projects!

In the midst of all the mid-semester madness, it is crucial to take some time for yourself to relax; find that Zen that you lost somewhere in between your double shift at work and the all-nighter for an exam.

With that said, do yourself a favor and take a break to enjoy the brisk Tallahassee weather! Put on your running shoes, borrow your friend’s bike, and take advantage of the views and trails that Mother Nature has to offer!

I have compiled a list of places worth visiting if you want to have a memorable outdoors experience:

1.      Apalachee Regional Park Trail: This is a popular playground for cross-country runners and bikers alike! Come here to enjoy the refreshing Tallahassee air and take a jog to release the stress and tension that has built up from the semester. Keep your eyes peeled for the wildlife roaming around this park, such as wood storks, American egrets, and blue herons!

Address: 7550 Apalachee Parkway, about four-and-a-half miles east of US-319 on US-27.

2.      Tom Brown Park: This Park is one of the nearest ones to campus! It is complete with its own baseball field, tennis courts, BMX track, picnic sites, and gorgeous nature trails. Not only that, but there’s a dog park available for you to spend time with your furry friend. If you just want to take a nice stroll, take the park’s longest path called Goose Pond trail. This 1.5 mile trail will take you along both paved and dirt paths, as well as around the scenic Lake Leon.

Photo credit – Ashley Vaughn

Address: 501 Easterwood Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32301

3.      Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park: A 12 mile loop trail, the Phipps Park is rated among one of the best for hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrian loops. It is important to note that it is rated “moderate” for the level of intensity due to areas that run sharply downhill. Leave all the noise behind and surround yourself with ancient magnolias and a breath-taking view of Lake Jackson.

Address: 4000 N Meridian Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32308

4.      FSU’s Outdoor Pursuit Programs: For those of you who are feeling adventurous but are apprehensive about planning an outdoor getaway on your own, FSU provides scheduled trips where you can be “one-with-nature” without fearing that you’ll get kidnapped by Big Foot. Accompanied by knowledgeable guides, you will gain an appreciation for nature and experience a change of environment that will offer you some needed relaxation. The great thing about this program is the variety of activities they offer: caving, paddling, raft, skiing, biking, etc. You must register ahead of time to attend these trips.

Alabama Caving Trip; photo credit – Emely Toro

Link: http://campusrec.fsu.edu/outdoor/tripschedule.shtml

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."