Katie Parsons wearing cheetah print in front of a skyscraper
Katie Parsons
Career

Katie Renae: From Homemade Horror Films to Widespread YouTube Success

Her Campus (HC): What is the story behind your YouTube channel? Have you always enjoyed making videos or was this just a new hobby?

Katie Renae (KR): Growing up, I was always filming myself, friends and creating short horror films, as kids do. I was also obsessed with YouTube, not because of the fame, but because there were people just like me who I could relate to and learn from. As I got older and life changed, I got lonelier. These people that I had been viewing were a source of relief, and I wanted to be that for someone else. A couple years went by where I didn’t post, and it felt so strange not to that I decided to take YouTube back up in 2017. And here I am now!

Katie Renae wearing circular glasses and a green polka dotted dress
Katie Parsons

HC: Do you feel connected with many of your subscribers?

KR: Since a lot of my subscribers are from Asia, I’ve been trying to incorporate more Korean subtitles and Korean speaking in general in my content. Whenever I get a DM or any sort of fan art, I always try to reply or support them because I know that’s all I wanted as a viewer. Man, I remember Conan Gray replied to me on Instagram one time and it made my month. If I have the ability to do that for someone else, I always try to!

HC: I know that a major theme on your channel in the past was K-pop. What made you interested in learning the language in the first place? Are you still interested in the music?

KR: I fell in love with the country and culture after crossing paths with a K-pop music video and after watching Korea travel videos. Nowadays, I’m not too crazy about K-pop; I enjoy more of the R&B style of Korean music. As for speaking Korean, I am by no means fluent, but I’m learning every day and can hold a decent conversation. After college, I plan on living in Seoul again.

HC: What school are you going to and what will you be majoring in?

KR: I’m going to Parsons School of Design and will be majoring in Communication Design.

Katie Renae kicking her foot into the air in front of a colorful background
Katie Parsons

HC: That’s incredible! I’ve also noticed that you don’t have a particular niche on your channel; your videos are all over the place, which is something that I love. Do you ever feel pressured to stick to one kind of video?

KR: My overall creative process revolves around what I would like to see as a viewer. Yet every now and again, I’ll catch myself in a rut where I feel like my videos aren’t good enough. This is normal for any creator, but I try to keep a level head and not let “what will get the most views” get to my head.

HC: What are three tips that you have for anyone wanting to start a YouTube channel?

KR: First, do not start thinking you will become “YouTube famous” because in the end, you will be miserable. Begin a YouTube channel because you love filmmaking and/or sharing ideas with others. Social media fame is so romanticized now that I don’t think people understand the true effort that comes with it. Second, it’s so cliché but really be yourself. Don’t worry about being the next Emma Chamberlain or Conan Gray. Focus on being the new you and presenting who you are. Third, when you begin uploading, don’t worry if you’re not an overnight sensation. It took me years to even reach 100 subscribers, which doesn’t mean it will take you as long. However, because the market is so saturated, it’s a one in a million chance you’ll blow up overnight.

Check out Katie’s videos here!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Chai tea and K-Pop are all I need to survive.