Katie Baughman: Garnet and Gold Guides President Wants to Make a Change in the Sports Industry

Courtesy: Katie Baughman

Name: Katie Baughman

Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.

Year: Senior

Major: Media Communication Studies

Minor(s): Business and Hospitality Management

Relationship Status: Taken

Her Campus (HC): What do you want to do with your career?

Katie Baughman (KB): I would like to work in athlete development and player representation at the collegiate or professional level. I don’t want to be an agent, but I want to help players with things like community relations, financial literacy and transitioning into different phases throughout their life; whether it’s starting out or retirement. Basically, I want to help players with off-field development.

HC: When did you first know that you loved sports and wanted to make a career out of it?

KB: In high school, I started to follow sports more and I learned more about the industry, rather than just the entertainment value, and it’s something that intrigued me. Once I got to college and worked in the player personal department of FSU, I discovered my passion for athlete development.

HC: How did you become so deeply in love with football (and who instilled this within you)?

KB: My mom and dad. Ever since a very young age, my mom always said she would buy us Jacksonville Jaguars season tickets before she would buy us diapers, so I never really had a choice as to if I was going to love football or not.

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration?

KB: Professionally, I would say Samantha Ponder because even though her career path is more media-based, her work ethic and the way she has distinguished herself as a powerful woman in the sports industry is something I truly admire. She never loses her femininity while still proving she can dominate in a man’s world.

HC: How did you become so in love with the idea of serving and helping others?

KB: From a young age, my parents, my friends and my faith have always pushed me to leave this world a better place than when I found it. As people, we have so much power to go out and be an influence on someone’s life for the better. Taking advantage of that power and loving others is honestly what brings this life so much joy!

HC: How did you first get involved with the sports community on FSU’s campus?

KB: My first actual involvement was with Seminole Productions, so I helped with basketball games and media-based needs. Then, I heard about Garnet and Gold Guides and someone told me, “You love sports and people and you never stop talking, so this is perfect for you.” So I tried out and here we are!

Courtesy: Katie Baughman

HC: What do you love most about being involved with Garnet and Gold Guides?

KB: I love that it gives me an opportunity to make people fall in love with Florida State the same way I have the past four years. It also provides me with an opportunity to serve FSU in a very unique way, and it gives me the chance to be apart of the football team (minus the pads and helmets).

HC: What are your responsibilities as President and how have they shaped you as a person?

KB: As President, it is my job to conduct weekly meetings to prepare our members for the games we will be hosting for players and their families. I need to ensure that all members are well-versed and knowledgeable about the information on FSU athletics. Through it, I also provide a channel of support and serve as a morale-booster for people to get excited about our University. I also delegate responsibilities within our organization concerning training, publicity, philanthropy, etc.

HC: What is the best way for students to get involved with Garnet and Gold Guides?

KB: Follow us on our social media pages or reach out to one of our current members. Also, in the spring we will be having an informational meeting, so you can learn more about us by attending one of those! You can also go to Seminoles.com under the “Fans” tab; there is a section for Garnet and Gold Guides and you can read a little more about us and what we do. The application is also on there and will be available for submission in the spring.

HC: What other things do you want people to know about Garnet and Gold Guides?

KB: I want people to know that joining this organization will provide any student (boy or girl – boys can join too) such a rare opportunity to be a part of a true family in Seminole Athletics; a family full of people from all different walks of life all over campus and a chance to help grow that family by expressing just how great FSU is to others!

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

KB: Hopefully, I will be working with the NFL PA and their Player Affairs and Development program. Basically, I want to work with players to help ensure they are aware, educated and informed of their rights, as well as also aware of the resources and services available to them, to make them as successful off the field as on.

Courtesy: Katie Baughman

HC: What experiences outside of FSU have helped develop your knowledge and passion for the industry?

KB: Outside of FSU, I have had so many opportunities to learn about the industry. I have worked for a sports and lifestyle marketing firm, MKTG, where I was able to gain knowledge in working with client services, operations and production. I also interned with a television station, following my freshman year, where I was able to work with the media at the Jacksonville Jaguars training camp, which also offered a great learning experience and a different perspective.

HC: As a woman going into the mostly male-dominated sports industry, how do you feel this will play a role throughout your career?

KB: I believe it presents a special kind of challenge that will constantly inspire me to work harder towards my goal. As much as it will be a challenge, it will also make me an asset to the industry; women have so much power and can offer such a different perspective to a male-dominated industry. It’s inspiring to see so many women channel their strengths to become such powerful forces within the sports realm. 

HC: What makes you stand out from others going into the sports field?

KB: I have a very genuine passion for people and the betterment of the sports industry as a whole. There are so many ways it can improve and for the rest of my life, I can see myself waking up every day and seizing every opportunity to do that. Honestly, I would say it’s my genuine passion for the service of others that will distinguish me in my pursuit.

Hi I'm Jennifer! I love all things fashion, cats and coffee.
Her Campus at Florida State University.