Karissa Pendleton: “You Can’t Live Your Life on Mute”

Name: Karissa Pendleton

Year: Junior

Hometown: Tallahassee, Florida

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Sports Management

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about your current internship here at FSU?

Karissa Pendleton (KP): I work in Events and Facilities in the Athletics Department here at Florida State University. I work under Associate Athletic Director Bernie Waxman. I help research different topics that deal with the sports industry [and] am involved in some pre, current, and post-game [set] up. I also attend different meetings throughout the day.

HC: What is your favorite sport to work with and why?

KP: So far I like basketball the best. I have worked both mens and womens basketball and they both operate the same. I like to be able to see how everything operates and also be able to watch the game at the same time.

HC: What made you decide to pick sports management?

KP: My dad was in the sports industry so I grew up around the athletics profession and Florida State University. I have been going to events and my dad’s office since I was a kid. Therefore, I fell in love with it at a young age.

HC: What team would you ideally want to work for?

KP: The Tampa Bay Rays.

HC: Do you have any cool opportunities lined up for this summer?

KP: I have an internship in Events and Facilities with the Rays this summer.

HC: If you had to choose a character on television that you closely relate to, who would it be?

KP: Christina Yang, from Grey’s Anatomy. Christina Yang pretty much describes me, or says what I am thinking. She has a passion for being the best at what she does, and always strives to be great. That is how I am, [and how I] want to be.     

HC: Are you Team McDreamy or Team McSteamy?

KP: Definitely Team McDreamy.

HC: Do you have one quote that you try to live by?

KP: “At any given moment you have the power to say: This is not how the story is going to end.” – Christine Mason Miller