Kanye West Debuts Yeezy Season 3

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU 

Introducing Her Campus FSU’s first themed week: Fashion Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. In honor of the events taking place across the globe, from February 15-19 we’re letting you in on the latest industry trends as the runways begin to come to life again. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we tackle everything from NYFW to Yeezy Season 3 to a killer fashion profile you don’t want to miss. 

With over 17,000 in attendance, the crowd cheers as Kanye West, accompanied by Lamar Odom, emerges at Madison Square Garden. The Kardashian Family, all wearing white, new pieces of courtesy of the Yeezy Season 3 Collection (we love North in her cute fur coat!) are being heavily photographed. Celebrities like Tyga, Kid Cudi, Austin Mahone are in attendance as well. Standing behind the DJ booth, Kanye (the M.C. for the event), sports a black baseball cap along with a long sleeved red sweater. “Feel free to dance, to cheer, whatever ya’ll wanna do.” Kanye, being the mastermind that he is, will be playing his new album The Life of Pablo during the show. Concert and fashion show in one? Very Kanye. As the first track “Ultralight Beam” plays, the lights in Madison Square lift and Kanye (on what seems to be a rare occasion) smiles and dances with his entourage on the sidelines to his musical mastery. The black tarps that once covered the models are pulled off and the show begins.

Courtesy: Footwear News

Unsurprisingly enough, the models debut Kanye’s new collection in an unconventional way. This isn’t a typical catwalk – after all, it is Mr. West. The majority of the models stood on the ground while two groups stood on cubical raised platforms. The jumbotron (which the models are forbidden to look at) also screened the show. The Yeezy 3 collection features athleisure silhouettes in quintessential neutral tones ranging from olive green to mustard yellow to rust to beige. A mix of midi dresses, billowy outwear, sweaters, bodysuits and two pieces encompass the compilation. Not far separated from his first two seasons, this collection includes a more varied color scheme. Look closely and you’ll see Naomi Campbell, yes, supermodel Naomi Campbell, sporting a black dress and long black fur coat amidst the models. 

Courtesy: NY Times

Shoes! I don’t know about you, but that was the main reason I was watching the livestream of the show. Kanye himself along with many of the models showcased his newest Yeezy 1050 Boot in beige while a few female models wore pairs of transparent heeled ankle boots. This year, the focus switched from the ever popular Yeezy Boost 350 as some of the models were seen wearing Adidas Originals such as Superstars and Stan Smiths. “Adidas promised they are going to lower prices,” Kanye stated. #Blessed. Thanks Ye because me and my collegiette budget really wanted a pair of those moonrock Yeezy Boosts. Oh, and if you’re wondering why, other than the occasional flinch, movement seems scarce that’s because Kanye released a set of both confusing yet direct rules for the show, as shown below. 

Courtesy: Twitter

“Do not act cool.” “Loose up no stiffness.” Hold your position.” Does he want the models to move or not? However seemingly contradictory and difficult to understand the statements are, the some 1200 models seem to get the idea. We love the laidback vibe of the show and of course who doesn’t want a free concert? A unique and artistic showcase of both fashion and music, it’s clear Kanye wants the focus solely on his art. He states, “New York City! How are you feeling about my album? Tell me how you feeling about the clothes this season.” Well Kanye, to answer you, we love it all.

Courtesy: NPR

California native, Kaylah Jackson is currently a senior at Florida State University where she is majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Her passion for sports, women's health and social issues coupled with her love for writing inspires her to pursue a career in television journalism. Make sure to keep an eye out for her on a national news network in the coming years! When she isn't brainstorming for her next story idea, Kaylah enjoys working out, binge watching The Office and attempting to get her friends to incorporate kale and avocado into their daily source of nutrition.
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_