The opinions in this article are those of the writer and do not reflect the opinions of Her Campus at Florida State.

Is Kamala Harris our future?

She’s Tough. Principled. Fearless. And Harris is running for the presidency in 2020. Her parents (her mom, Indian and her dad, Jamaican) were heavily involved in the Civil Rights Movement. She might be the best fit for the Democratic Party as she embodies how the party has modernized through its identity and ideology.

She was the first black person and first person of South Asian descent to be elected into the district attorney in San Francisco. She has made major strides and accomplishments already in the short amount of time that she has been involved in politics. Harris has also been serving on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Select Committee On Intelligence and the Committee On Budget.

Courtesy: Pinterest

The Democratic Party welcomes her with open arms because her views lean more into the liberal side; her growing up in California helps this because she was able to grow her ideologies and fight with people for the rights that everyone should be given fairly. Although she’s relatively still a new face in the Democratic Party, she is rising quickly and has become a favorite.

As of now, Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris are leading the Democratic nominees for 2020, with hopes that Joe Biden will join for a strong top 3 lead. However, there are some concerns when it comes to the nominees.

Bernie Sanders’s age poses a big issue for some voters. With Sanders reigning in at 77 years old, many question if he should be running.

Harris is 54 years old and has a strong and powerful platform for grassroots. She is pushing for the legalization of marijuana everywhere and is working on a new Green New Deal. This new deal is a proposal that sets the goal for taking the steps and achieving that all of the United States will reach a 100% renewable energy. Black women are often seen as the heart of the Democratic Party, and with Harris they see a reflection of themselves. She has already been backed and received endorsements from powerful representatives in our government.

Harris is known for her LIFT Act, and this act would make it possible to pay out and up to $500 a month for any of the working class families. This act would provide up to $6,000 a year per family in the form of a refundable tax credit. This tax could be accessed each month or at the end of the year. The act would be able to impact one in every two workers and two out of every three children in America.  

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.