Kalling All Koders: Kome #KodeWithKarlie

Photo Credit

Let’s face it; we’re all in awe of Karlie Kloss. The blue-eyed, blonde-haired beauty (and did I mention THOSE LEGS?!) is not only one of the most sought after supermodels, but actually just designed a scholarship program to empower the minds of young girls.

Inspired by her time taking coding classes, the 22-year old model is giving 20 girls the opportunity to participate in a two-week program at Flatiron Pre-College Academy! Out of the 20 scholarships available, 10 are in New York City while 10 are available throughout Flatiron Pre-College Academy’s other locations! Other locations include Austin, Boston, Chicago, Greenwich, Miami and San Francisco.

“I think it’s crucial that young women learn to code as early as possible to ensure that we have a choice and a stake in what the world looks like,” Kloss powerfully asserts. Kloss is just one of many incredible women who are standing up for the empowerment of young girls, encouraging them to value the power of education and to participate in whatever makes them happy—regardless of whether or not it is deemed “gender appropriate.” Boundaries are being broken in terms of gender equality and it’s about time that young girls are allowed opportunities to educate and express themselves in any way they choose.

Exactly who is eligible for the Kode with Karlie scholarship?

All girls ages 13-18 that are able to attend one of Flatiron Pre-College Academy scheduled Introduction to Software Engineering courses! Girls must be residents of the United States, however, you do not need any previous coding experience to apply for the scholarship.

What does the Introduction to Software Engineering course entail?

The course is taught over a two-week span at one of the Flatiron Pre-College Academy locations. Students are expected to attend the course full-time. Concepts in software engineering will be explored through an accessible programming language called Ruby. Students will create an app using the same tools and programming languages used in popular coding companies such as Kickstarter and Etsy.

If I receive the Kode with Karlie scholarship, do I have to take the course this upcoming summer?

Yes. All recipients of the scholarship must take the Introduction to Software Engineering course at one of the Flatiron Pre-College Academy locations during summer 2015. If for some reason you cannot attend, scholarship winners are able to transfer the scholarship to another person as long as that person fulfills the same eligibility requirements.

How do I apply?

Simply submit a 30 to 90 second YouTube video explaining why you want to learn how to code! When filling out the Kode with Karlie scholarship application form, make sure to include the link to your video! The deadline to apply is May 1, 2015.

How are the winners selected?

Winners will be decided based upon their application form and YouTube video submission!

When will the winners be announced?

Winners will be announced on May 10, 2015, giving scholarship winners plenty of time to prepare for the opportunity of a lifetime!

Make sure you check out the official Kode with Karlie scholarship video for additional inspiration and information!

Also, make sure you check out the Flatiron Pre-College Academy’s website for further information and a link to the application!

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.