This eight-episode series from Amazon Freevee Jury Duty is a must-see “mockumentary.” The series follows a group of 12 “jurors” (played by real actors) who are participating in a documentary on the process of jury trials. In reality, all but one unsuspecting person are actors in a fake trial, and camera crews documented the entire experience. 

Each character has a hilarious and unique personality. The only actor who plays a juror mildly similar to themselves is James Marsden, as he presents himself as an actor and goes by his actual name. However, his personality is different for a comedic effect. He enjoys bragging about his roles and even calls the paparazzi on himself. Other actors include Mekki Leeper, Kirk Fox, Maria Russell, Ross Kimball, Trisha LaFache, Susan Berger, and Ishmel Sahid to name a few.

Part of what pulled off the elaborate “trial” was that the 12 jurors were staying in a hotel, with no access to their phones and limited access to the internet. In the last episode, behind-the-scenes footage was shown of all the careful work that went into keeping the big secret. The cast revealed several slip-ups in their stories that could have blown their cover. 

The unsuspected juror is Ronald Gladden. Up until reading the verdict as the foreperson of the jury, Gladden still believed he was participating in a real trial. Amidst the shock of realizing that the trial was a lie, Ronald was given $100,000 for being such a dedicated juror. 

Despite the chaotic environment (filled with a multitude of wild situations, including tantrums, injuries, and breakups) Ronald had patience and worked to keep everyone focused on the case at hand to come to a sufficient verdict. While attempting to get the jurors to reach a verdict, Ross Kubiak, played by Ross Kimball, refuses to rule in favor of everyone else just because he doesn’t want the trial to end, since it would mean going home. Gladden pulls him aside and consoles him. This is just an example of the types of situations Gladden successfully navigated as a foreperson. 

Perhaps the funniest scene from the series is the group’s field trip to a Margaritaville restaurant for their big night out. While at the restaurant, Noah Price, played by actor Mekki Leeper, accidentally consumes alcohol, as he mistakes a cocktail for his mocktail. Afterward, Price becomes very intoxicated and breaks up with his girlfriend. When Price realizes what he did at Margaritaville, he asks Gladden to talk to his girlfriend on the phone and explain that his drinking alcohol was an innocent mistake, hoping that his girlfriend will take him back. Reluctantly, Gladden has to speak with Price’s ex-girlfriend and explain the hard-to-believe situation. This is another example of the numerous outlandish situations Gladden had to try and sort out.

Jury Duty truly is a hilarious show based on a unique concept, executed seamlessly. The next time you’re wondering what to watch for a lighthearted laugh, check out Jury Duty available on Prime Video, free with ads from Amazon Freevee.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

I am a junior at Florida State University studying psychology and minoring in mathematics and communication. I am the Outreach Coordinator at Her Campus FSU. I'm very passionate about art, literature, fashion, pop culture and films!