Julie and the Phantoms: The Perfect Show To Get You Out of the Fall Semester Slump!

*WARNING: Spoilers are mentioned in this article.*

If you are anything like me, you need a quick escape from reality after dealing with online classes and the crazy world around us this semester. This escape came for me in the form of the new Netflix TV show: Julie and the Phantoms. This show, which arrived on the streaming platform on September 10th, is perfect for getting out of the beginning of the semester slump and into the spooky season mood.

The show revolves around the fictional band, Sunset Curve, which is made up of a group of guys who sadly passed away from eating bad street hot dogs when they were 17 years old. The band members, Luke, Alex and Reggie, become ghosts and appear to Julie 25 years later. Julie is a high school student whose mom passed away a year before. As a result, she has not been able to play music, which has wrecked both her relationships and standing in her music program at school. She is the only “lifer” or living person able to see the ghosts of the three boys. The boys ultimately push her to play music again and join their new band. To everyone’s surprise, the boys are able to be seen by all the lifers when they play in their band together. Julie has to keep the boys a secret, as people would think she was crazy with grief if she was found talking to ghosts, and the boys have to figure out why they are still in this realm and how they can only be seen when they play. These main plot points as well as the elements of a normal high school drama allow the show to be lighthearted but also touch on hard topics like grief and death.

Sunset Curve, Julie and the Phantoms Mascots by @arttavern
Illustration by @arttavern
As I binged this show in one night while doing homework, I was motivated by the songs in every episode, as they each had a positive message and a catchy tune. Their album is out on Spotify and Apple Music now if you want to give it a try! But the thing that impressed and stuck with me the most from this show is that every character is different and every character teaches you something.

Luke, played by Charles Gillespie, sings a heart-breaking song to his parents. He ran away from home before his death and never got to apologize for it. This song, titled “Unsaid Emily”, had me crying over my homework so hard that I had to take a long break to regroup. His character teaches that running away from problems is not the best solution and to never forget to say “I love you” to the people you love as you never know what will happen. Alex, my personal favorite ghost who is played by Owen Joyner, is the epitome of strength and consistently has the best one liners in the show. Before his death, he was disowned by his parents for being gay. However, there is a happy ending, as he does enter a relationship with a fellow ghost named Willie, played by Booboo Stewart. Emotions are what make you strong and Alex does not hold back from them. Reggie, played by Jeremy Shada, finds joy in the simplest interactions. Even though the people can’t see him, he is always kind and helpful. To be kind without getting recognition for it is something I work on constantly. And finally, Julie, played by newcomer Madison Reyes, shows the audience that the voice can be the most powerful tool, it just depends on how you use it.

Sunset Curve Ghoul Boys by @svanaart
Photo by @svanaart

This show brought me back to my childhood as I reminisced about the times when I would stay up to watch High School Musical on Friday nights cuddled in my Jonas Brothers blanket. Kenny Ortega, who directed and choreographed the High School Musical Trilogy as well as Descendants brings his talent to the forefront of this new work. His ability to make the music shine with immaculate choreography complimenting every line is something I have always admired while watching his works. The characters take you on a journey with them and I can only give massive props to the actors for accomplishing such a feat.

Julie and the Phantoms is a fresh show that is perfect for the spooky season, with great comedy, well-written characters, an amazing villain and a well-paced plot. After the first episode, you will be hooked and wanting more from the “cute ghost boys” of the Phantom namesake. I hope you try out the show and love it as much as I did. If you need me, I will be rewatching it in my Sunset Curve shirt, because as the boys say, “This band is back!”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Ollie LeClerc is from Arizona and is in Pre-Law! She wants to become an entertainment lawyer focusing on contracts and hiring. Go, Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.