Julia Bracci Sunset
Julia Bracci Sunset
Photo by Julia Bracci
Career

Julia Bracci Talks Leadership in Sorority Life as Sigma Delta Tau President

This week, I interviewed Julia Bracci. Originally from Miami, Florida, Julia is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Marketing and Finance. She is the President of Sigma Delta Tau’s Gamma Lambda Chapter here at Florida State University. Julia, as SDT’s Dance Marathon delegate, is also very involved in their Dance Marathon fundraiser. She opened up to me about her experience in her sorority and how she has created bonds with amazing women and grown as a person!

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you to join the greek community?

Julia Bracci (JB): Joining the greek community was always a given for me. My mom was in a sorority, so I always listened to her stories and experiences, but there was no specific reason for me to go through recruitment. The main reason I went through recruitment was to meet new people and to have something to do. I was always busy with soccer, volleyball and volunteering growing up. Attending Florida State as an incoming freshman concerned me regarding how I would occupy my time. Joining a sorority was my perfect solution and has given me so many opportunities to give back to my community, meet new people and grow as a person.

HC: How have the women in this Chapter impacted you?

JB: The women in this Chapter have impacted my life immensely. Even though I have only been here for two and a half years, I feel like I have known these women for way longer. Coming into Sigma Delta Tau not knowing a single person was hard. One specific person that has really impacted my experience and growth is my big, Sammy. Sammy recruited me and was my bid day buddy. She forgot she recruited me when it came to bid day, but I remembered because I thought she was such a cool person. Besides being cool and being the only person I knew would play any intramural sport with me, Sammy always encouraged me and pushed me to be the person I am today. Any time I applied for a position or took on a role I would always talk with her to make sure I wasn’t crazy; she would always reassure me that I could not only do it but do it better than anyone she knew.

Julia Bracci Big Little
Photo by Julia Bracci

HC: How do you balance school with being President of Sigma Delta Tau?

JB: As President, it is expected that you are busy 24/7. I am usually busy, however, I am able to balance being President, Dance Marathon Delegate and most of all, a student through my Executive Board. The Executive Board is composed of some of the most hard-working and giving women I know. These women always reach out to ask if I need help. If I reach out asking for help, they are quick to take on the task. They make it much easier for me to be able to take a study break, and still have the confidence in things getting done and functioning properly.

HC: How has your position as chapter President allowed for your leadership skills to blossom?

JB: Growing up, and even up until a year ago, I hated speaking in front of large groups of people. By large I mean people outside of my immediate friend group. I was always shy and too scared to speak. With my position as President and even past positions like IM Chair, I speak in front of at least 150 people a week. Another leadership skill of mine that has developed is my ability to work with people. With an Executive Board, Sigma Delta Tau Nationals and the Panhellenic community that I have to work with, there are many people I have to go through in order to have events, shirts and decisions approved. I would not trade this experience for anything and cannot wait to see the other ways in which I grow.

HC: What has been your favorite memory as chapter President?

JB: Even though I have not been President for that long, so far my favorite part has been getting to know my sorority sisters more. I would say I knew everyone before I became President, but now with the role I have taken on, I have such meaningful conversations that I would not get with everyone if I were not in my position. It is just so hard to get to know everyone on a deeper level when there are new sisters every semester. With my position, I am a main point of contact and feel so lucky to get to speak to everyone. Whether it is just texting, FaceTime or sitting at lunch together there are so many opportunities to really listen to every sister and branch out. I am so excited for the rest of my term and to see what my Executive Board and I accomplish.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Nicole Ruiz is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communication. She is originally from Miami, Florida. Nicole loves writing and discovering new music!