Jonas Baptiste: Resident Assistant & SOAR Board Member

Name: Jonas Baptiste

Year: Sophomore

Major: Finance & Marketing

Hometown: Sunrise, Florida

Her Campus (HC): How many organizations are you involved in?

Jonas Baptiste (JB): I am currently involved in two organizations.

HC: Can you tell us exactly what they entail?

JB: I’m a resident assistant (RA) in Degraff hall as well as a Market Wednesday chair member for the Student Organization Advisory and Resource (SOAR) board. As an RA in  Degraff I am here for residents and I help residents get involved, be a resource for them and also plan events that are aimed at their wellbeing. In SOAR Board, I help plan, manage and organize events such as Market Wednesday, the President’s Mixer, and the Involvement Fair, with the goal of getting organization’s name out there and promoting organizations throughout the population of Florida State

HC: What made you decide to get involved in these organizations?

JB: Last year I was in Hall Council for the Jennie Reynolds and Brian complex. With being in hall council and conducting several programs for residents, I was inspired to be an RA to make an impact. As for SOAR Board, I’ve always been a fan of Market Wednesday ever since my first semester here at Florida State.

HC: What has been your best experience so far?

JB: It’s probably being a resident assistant in Degraff Hall.

HC: Do you plan on joining anything more in your time here?

JB:  I really want to get involved with the Big Event, and I may rush for a professional fraternity next semester.

HC: How do you balance school, work and involvement?

JB: Two words: time management. I use my planner on a daily basis and this is really something that helps me balance my daily life.

HC: What would be your advice for someone trying to get more involved on campus?

JB: With Florida State having over 700 different organizations it can be pretty overwhelming to be involved. My advice would be to step out of your comfort zone. By stepping out of your comfort zone students can reach out to organizations as well as grow in a way they cannot imagine. I would also attend Market Wednesday to see organizations that are tabling and check out the Peer Involvement Mentors, which will help students at Florida State narrow down all the organizations on campus to what suits their interest(s).

My name is Zahra. Love the color green and love FSU
Her Campus at Florida State University.