What are your plans for Tuesday, Oct. 15?

Delta Zeta is proud to present its Second Annual “DZ on the Block,” a fun-filled food-truck festival and block party benefitting the Starkey Hearing Foundation, the FSU Speech & Hearing Clinic, and The Painted Turtle Camp!  

So now that you’re planning on going, let’s get to know who you’re helping.

The Starkey Hearing Foundation gives the gift of hearing to people in need around the world. Their mission is “to give the gift of hearing to those in need, empowering them to achieve their potential. By collaborating with governments, nongovernment organizations, and health leaders, our goal is to make hearing healthcare services more accessible for people around the world.” The foundation works in three different aspects: service delivery, education & capacity-building, and global advocacy. Service delivery involves different hearing healthcare missions and expanding their network of community-based programs throughout all the countries in which they are present. They share new findings and research while training the next generation of hearing healthcare providers under education & capacity-building. Lastly, they advocate for hearing health around the world, engaging professionals in hearing health policy solutions. They globally start a conversation about the importance of hearing in hopes of helping improve hearing healthcare policies and knowledge.

On a local level, the event will also be benefitting the FSU Speech & Hearing Clinic. Their goal is to provide effective community services that improve the communication abilities of clients and to provide a teaching and clinical research laboratory that seeks to develop exemplary assessment and treatment procedures for use by our students and professionals in speech-language pathology and audiology.”  

Daily, they serve members of our community by providing a variety of different hearing and speech programs to allow everyone the chance for academic success. The services are administered by graduate students under the supervision of faculty members and clinical instructors. There is also an Assistive Communication Lab which focuses on meeting the needs and coming up with solutions to aid those who suffer from severe communication disorders. They provide options to develop and restore an individual’s ability to become independent.

The Painted Turtle Camp is a year-round camping experience for children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses. It is completely free of charge and seeks to inspire children to learn about their medical care and become more independent. Campers are surrounded by children who understand their challenges, which lead to friendships and connections both in and out of camp. They value community, trust, courage, compassion, joy, and ultimately operate with intention from the heart. They genuinely care about their campers and the families and do their best to provide a safe, fun-filled environment.

So, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on West Jefferson Street, join the DZ girls for pizza, grilled cheese, tacos, chicken tenders, and yummy foods and dessert while jamming to some great music in front of their house. The best part is, tickets are only $6 online and $7 at the door and you will be supporting all three of these incredible causes while having a good time!

All images courtesy of Savannah Tindall.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Senior at FSU from Miami, Florida double majoring in English and Political Science.
Her Campus at Florida State University.