John Cortez: Dancing to the Beat of His Own Drum

Name: John Cortez

Year: Freshman

Major: Exploratory

Hometown: St. Petersburg, Florida

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): So John, even though this is your first year at FSU, are you involved with any organizations/clubs on campus?

John Cortez (JC): I’m part of the Asian American Student Union, more specifically the Filipino Student Association. I’m in FSA’s Indak dance group. It’s mostly a traditional dance group, but we like to mix in more modern hip-hop. It’s really cool. I’d like to try and join Union Productions next year! My roommate is currently in it. I love all the bands that pass through the Club and the events that Union Productions holds. I definitely want to be a part of it all.

HC: That’s great! How did you end up at Florida State? What’s been your favorite part about being a student here?

JC: This place is actually the only college I applied to (laughs). I think I wanted to go as far away from home without actually going that far, like leaving the state. FSU’s music program is also just a cut above the rest. I’m never bored here. There’s always something happening here somewhere. It’s a nice change of pace. I can’t always say the same about St. Pete.

HC: So I see you’re an exploratory major! How’s that going?

JC: I’m, uh, weighing my options? Yeah, let’s go with that, ha-ha. I’m too indecisive at the moment. I think I’d like to try to major in Music Therapy. It looks like an engaging major and I’ve always wanted to do something with music. I feel like it’s too big of a part of my life to ignore. If not Music Therapy, I’d probably go into Psychology.

HC: Music therapy sounds awesome! What’s your dream job?

JC: I’d make music. I’d be a rock star! Performing is really fun and touring looks like an adventure. There are also just some albums that mean a lot to me and helped shape me into who I am today, and I’d love to make an album with that impact for someone else.

HC: When you’re not busy being a student, what do you like to do in your spare time?

JC: I like to play music. I play guitar and piano and try to sing. I’ve been trying to write more too, like short stories and stuff. I’ve always had ideas that I never bothered putting to paper until recently. Oh and I play Super Smash Bros. Melee competitively. FSU has a really good scene and we meet up in the SLC to play. I’ve spent far too much time there (laughs). The Smash community is really chill and welcoming. It’s fun challenging yourself to get better, travelling around to tournaments and meeting people from around the country through a silly game. It’s the coolest thing ever.

HC: Have you determined your favorite local restaurant yet?

JC: AsianRox has way too much of my money. More than I’m proud of. I’m a sucker for pho. That stuff is so good I could have it every day (and sometimes I do). It doesn’t help that the restaurant is only a five-minute walk from my dorm.

HC: What is something most people don’t know about you?

JC: I was born in the Philippines. Kapampangan was my first language. For whatever reason though, when I learned English, I kind of “dropped” Kapampangan. I literally cannot speak or even understand any of it anymore. I don’t really know how it happened, but it’s kind of sad.

HC: Describe your ideal date!

JC: Relaxing and watching movies and listening to music all day. I’m simple. Maybe catch a concert after? Live music is always fun.

HC: Finally, if you could catch a plane leaving tomorrow and go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

JC: Probably to my first class, I’m always late. But seriously, probably London – that city looks so interesting and beautiful.

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.