The 11th Season of Doctor Who premiered on October 7th, but something was spectacularly different about our favorite Time Lord – she is a woman! Jodie Whittaker is the first woman in Doctor Who history to ever be a Doctor. How exciting is that?!

Here is why this is such a big deal for the beloved science fiction television series. The show established within the world of Doctor Who that The Doctor could take on any gender and race he/she pleased. However, there has only been one race and one gender throughout the series. You guessed it: a white male. Fans have been asking for a refreshing change in this pattern for a long while now, especially after David Tennant revealed he would be leaving the show in 2008. The show still cast two more white male actors after his departure, which left many fans feeling like the possibility of the show venturing out of its comfort zone was a hopeless fantasy. When the show announced Jodie Whittaker as the 13th doctor, many fans were pleasantly surprised.

Courtesy: The National

Whittaker herself is very excited about the role as well. In an interview with the Associated Press, Whittaker expresses her opinion of being the first female doctor. She states, “…the hero and T.V. and film characters to look up to didn’t look like me, and now we’re hopefully creating a show that is inclusive for everybody to have their hero.” In the interview, she also touches on the importance of “little boys and little girls look[ing] up to a girl” because “it’s 2018, we can do this.” Whittaker’s role as the first female doctor has received a ton of support from fans, especially women and young girls who are enthusiastic about being represented in a show as popular as Doctor Who.

Chris Chibnall, one half of the new executive producer team, said this about Whittaker “She just walked in the room and she was the Doctor. It was one of those things where you don’t know what you’re looking for until you see it” and added that her acting was “funny, fresh and very emotional.” Matt Strevens, the second half of the new executive producer team, is also very supportive and complementary towards Whittaker’s acting, “This Doctor loves life, and treats everything with awe and wonder. It’s a joyous performance.” Whittaker shared her thoughts and opinions of her portrayal of the new doctor as well, stating “[The Doctor] requires a lot of energy, a lot of childish wonder … I’m quite fidgety. There’s not a lot of stillness, I’m afraid.”

Courtesy: USA Today

While the response to this change has been mostly positive, some claim they will stop watching because the new doctor is a woman. Fans of Whittaker as the doctor have responded claiming that “Doctor” is a gender-neutral term. Nevertheless, many of the reactions to the first episodes have been nothing but supportive towards Whittaker. Many claim she fits the role perfectly. Twitter reactions can be seen here.

Whether or not you agree with the above Twitter claims, one thing cannot be argued; Jodie Whittaker is extremely enthusiastic about her role as the doctor. It is obvious that she sees it as more than just an acting job and rather a way to reach out and inspire people. She states “I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet. It’s more than an honor to play the Doctor…It means remembering everyone I used to be while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can’t wait.”

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.