Jeremy Whittington: A Balancing Act with a Miracle Making Mindset

Name: Jeremy Whittington

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Year: Senior

Age: 22

Major: Marketing

Relationship Status: Single

Courtesy: Jeremy Whittington

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about some of your campus involvements.

Jeremy Whittington (JW): I am a member of the FSU Flying High Circus, I’m a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon, a brother of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and I’m in the Student Alumni Association Leadership Council.

HC: What led you to join FSU’s Flying High Circus and what have you enjoyed the most about your time there?

JW:  It all started when I was a senior in high school and touring the school. I took a look at the circus tent and thought, “That’s cool, I want to check that out.” I had no intentions on actually joining and performing in the circus though. Then one day in the beginning of my freshman year of college, I decided to walk into the circus tent. There was a sign that said, “Sign up for auditions!” Without having any previous circus or gymnastics experience, I signed up, went to auditions and made it! I guess they liked me because I’m back for my 4th year now. I’ve enjoyed doing my act, Chinese Pole. I basically climb a giant pole and do tricks on it, like a stripper. (So ladies, if your waltz theme is Magic Mike, hit me up)

Courtesy: Jeremy Whittington

HC: I know you’ve been heavily involved with Dance Marathon over the years. Tell me, why do you DM?

JW: I have a passion for Dance Marathon and I feel it is a wonderful cause. I DM so I don’t have to see children in pain. I love kids and it’s upsetting to me that there are kids who spend months inside a hospital room, without ever getting the chance to play outside. Dance Marathon gives kids hope that one day they will be healed. Because of what we do and all we accomplish, kids get a chance at a normal life, even if it is just for one day.

HC: What was the most rewarding part about being on the internal side as a DM Morale Captain?

JW: The most rewarding part was knowing that I helped raise that $1.1 million. That’s 1.1 million miracles that were made. Pushing my fellow peers, friends and fraternity brothers to keep fundraising is all worth it once the total is revealed. One person can change the world, but together we can create miracles. Last semester, I got the chance to visit Shands Hospital in Gainesville, and I saw just how crucial we are to the well being of the children. It gives you all sorts of “feels.”

HC: Congrats on being chosen as a DM Morale Captain again! Do you have any specific goals in mind for this year?

JW: Thank you! I was so excited when I got the news that I literally almost died. This year I have a goal of personally raising $1,500 and an overall goal of reaching that 2 million dollar mark.

Courtesy: Jeremy Whittington

HC: Aside from performing and making miracles, what other activities do you enjoy?

JW: I enjoy eating food, working out, watching movies and eating more food.

HC: What are some of your post-graduation plans?

JW: I’m about to graduate in the spring and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. But after graduation, I want to hike the Appalachian Trail before starting a real-world job.

HC: What is something on your bucket list that you’re eager to accomplish? 

JW: I want to go to the Moon but, on a more realistic bucket list, I want to take a safari ride to the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro and then climb the 19,000 ft. mountain. (For those of you who don’t know, Mt. Kilimanjaro is in Africa).

HC: That sounds like quite the adventure! So tell me, what do you value most in a relationship? 

JW: Someone who is honest about my cooking.

HC: What does your ideal date look like?

JW: We watch the sunset while paddle boarding in the ocean. Then we go get margaritas and burritos at a classy but somewhat trashy Mexican restaurant and after all of that fun, go back home for some Netflix and chill.

HC: Favorite restaurant(s) in Tallahassee?

JW: Chipotle, Burrito Boarder and Muscle Maker Grill. I’m simple, ladies

HC: Who or what would you say inspires you on a daily basis?

JW: Whenever I see a puppy, it inspires me to be a better person. Puppies are so excited to meet and see you, so you should do the same! I get so happy when I see one, that it inspires me to try to be happy the rest of the day.

HC: What three words would your friends use to describe you?

JW: My friends would probably describe me as friendly, audacious and hungry.

HC: Tell us a fun fact about yourself! 

JW: I have an identical twin brother who goes to the University of Central Florida. We’re the same person and we applied to be on that new VH1 show called Twinning.

Courtesy: Jeremy Whittington

HC: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?

JW: Swimming next to a waterfall in New Zealand.

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.