Jennifer Catania: Aspiring Actress

Name: Jennifer Catania

Year: Senior

Hometown: Saint Augustine, Florida

Relationship status: Single

Major: Theatre, Psychology

Her Campus (HC): What are you currently involved in on campus?

Jennifer Catania (JC): I’m currently the president of the Film Club at FSU, I’m part of Coda A Cappella, and the organizations AASU and FSU STA.

HC: What is it like to be the president of Film Club here at FSU?

JC: It’s a lot of work. I feel like I’d have time to be more involved with other clubs if not so much time was spent being the president of Film Club, but at the same time it’s really fulfilling and there’s nothing I’d rather be doing. Also, it’s a lot more work depending on if you have a good board working with you, so this year isn’t as bad as some other years.

HC: Out of all the Film Club projects, which one did you enjoy working on the most?

JC: I don’t know, actually! I liked working [on] all of them because you pick up something new from each set. If I HAVE to pick, it would be SID because there was a dog. Also, it’s a beautiful film.

HC: Last year you decided to create your own web series; what was the most challenging thing during that whole process?

JC: The hardest part was that there were just so many things that I had to do myself. I didn’t just create it: I acted, produced, wrote, directed and did whatever jobs were left over. Producing was the most challenging aspect though because it involved so many people and so many locations and spanned eight months of filming. Working out schedules for up to like twenty-five people at once for that long really gets to you when it’s on top of everything else.

HC: What made you decide to double major in Psychology?

JC: It was really my pretend “safety” major for a “real” job, but I’m actually really interested in psychology. I figured if I had to do something academic with my life, I wouldn’t mind doing something I find interesting that also helps people. I LOVE learning about how and why people do what they do, but not research. I hate research.

HC: How do you juggle it all (you do so much)?

JC: Really good time management! I don’t really think I have limits, so I overbook myself, and once I made those commitments I don’t drop out. A normal day for me is 8am-10pm with me going from work, to class, back to work, to set, and to rehearsal. I don’t like having too much free time; I feel like I’m wasting my life away. But I did get sick a LOT last semester so maybe I didn’t time-manage that well. I didn’t think I needed to schedule sleep, but apparently I do.

HC: Hypothetically, if you could only watch one television show, one movie, and read only one book for the rest of your life what would they be?

JC: Doctor Who, Phantom of the Opera (2004) and Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

HC: If you could do anything (career wise) what would be your ideal job?

JC: I want to be an actress! In film or musicals.

HC: If you could sit down and have lunch with any celebrity, who would it be and why?

JC: Josh Groban. I would just make him sing to me and eat cheese (nd then I’d steal his dog).

HC: Lastly, what are your thoughts on the “man-bun” (do you love it or hate it)?

JC: Overall, I’m not REALLY into them, but it works for some guys.

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.