The life of Jeffery Epstein became a hot topic across the globe after he was charged with multiple sex trafficking charges in July of 2019, followed by a successful suicide attempt in jail while awaiting a court decision on Aug. 10, 2019.

Born on Jan. 20, 1953, in Brooklyn, New York, Epstein attended New York University but left before he could receive a degree. After teaching calculus and physics at Manhattan’s elite K through 12 Dalton School for two years, Epstein left to work in finance at Bear Stearns firm before starting his own in 1981. In less than five years, Epstein became a multi-millionaire and globally known for his wealth and international endeavors through his financial firm Financial Trust Co. Inc. However, he gained a lot of public interest in how he earned his money through secluded sectors in private companies and how fast he accumulated his wealth even after his extensive and ongoing criminal record.

Epstein owned a 70-acre private island in the Caribbean, Little St. James, which consisted of underage girls that were held against their will for him by his close-knit circle of elite friends to commit sex crimes. After already being charged with sexual assault in the late ’90s and forced to become a registered sex offender, Epstein continued to bring young women under the age of consent aboard his helicopter and private planes to the island in broad daylight without running into the law for almost another decade or catching the attention of the #MeToo Movement.

man in black/white pullover with \"human trafficking\" on back
Photo by Kate Oseen from Unsplash

In 2008, Epstein pleaded guilty to state charges of using a person underage for prostitution and received a felony for solicitation. However, he only served 13 months in a private wing of the Palm Beach County Stockade in Florida while on a work release, which normally results in up to 15 years of imprisonment with a fine of $10,000. When Epstein was convicted in July of 2019, he received federal charges for the sex trafficking of minors in Florida and New York, and was awaiting a court trial until he supposedly hung himself from a bedsheet in his jail cell.

While the medical examiner attempted to flush out any prospect that there was foul play, there has been an ongoing political debate with the public regarding Epstein and his assumed suicide. Many believe the murder was committed with political implications, while others think Epstein faked his death. So, what are these conspiracy theories surrounding Epstein’s death?

Conspiracy #1: Bipartisan Blame

Former President Donald Trump made a statement in late 2019 that accused Bill Clinton of murdering Epstein for “knowing too much.” Both political figures were involved with Epstein at some point between investments and social events. Trump has insisted that the Clintons had a slimy business deal that would be brought to the bureau’s attention if Epstein were to go on trial for his 2019 convictions. While some accuse Trump of dragging the Clintons’ name through the mud for political gain, others agree with him and suggest many of the elite had dirty dealings with Epstein that led to a planned murder to silence him before he could out them.

Conspiracy #2: Epstein’s Dirty Money

After creating his own business, Epstein’s wealth grew exponentially in a way that even shocked those on Wall Street. The multi-million-dollar fortune was thought to have amassed Epstein as many enemies as partners. Most interestingly, most of New York financiers could not identify any of Epstein’s clients in passing, which made many think he was dealing under the table in some elaborate scheme to make people believe he was elite. “Not one institutional trading desk, primary or secondary, had ever traded with Epstein’s firm,” a hedge-fund manager told the New York Times. Some believe he had a lot of blackmail on the most powerful people in the world, which led to his top-secret list of clients who wanted to remain anonymous.

Conspiracy #3: Assassination by Fellow Inmates

One interesting but plausible theory is that Epstein was simply murdered by his fellow inmates because of his history of molestation, underage prostitution and sex trafficking. It is known by correctional officers and guards that while there are people in there for crimes, it is especially heinous to enter jail with any of these charges against children and women. Many people believe there was a group of prisoners who were allowed to murder Epstein while the guards filed false records for the call logs on Aug. 9, 2019. While this is the most popular conspiracy theory, it is not even close to the craziest story someone thought of in late 2019.

Conspiracy #4: He Faked His Death

After photos were released with officials wheeling Epstein’s body out on a stretcher, the nation flooded social media with the theory that Epstein used a body double with the help of authorities while he escaped to a beach somewhere across the world. On Twitter, multiple celebrities and even congressmen weighed in on this claim, sharing their agreement that something wasn’t right with the image of Epstein’s ear shape in comparison to an early 2000 photo of him. Though these claims seemed to rock the nation with a suspected scandal, the coroner reported that it indeed was Epstein because his age difference had caused his skin to droop in comparison to the 15-year-old photo.

Even now, Jeffery Epstein’s cause of death remains a mystery to most who refuse to believe there was no foul play involved. As Jospeh Sabran said, “Politics is the conspiracy of the unproductive but organized against the productive but unorganized.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

FSU EWM Major 2023 Aspiring journalist
Her Campus at Florida State University.