James Alessandrelli: President of FSU Poker Club

Name: James Alessandrelli

Year: Junior

Major: Digital Media Production

Hometown: Sarasota, FL

Photo By: Lauren Alsina

Her Campus (HC): How did you first get involved in poker?

James Alessandrelli (JA): I learned everything I know from my mom.

HC: For the uninitiated, what does the FSU poker club do?

JA: We have a weekly game every Friday. We also have people meeting up for side games and we compete in a national online poker tour for college students, ran by All In magazine. The first year of the club, we had a guy go and win the whole tournament. We also participate in team tournaments against other colleges. Last year, we sent like 70 guys, and we ended up winning that too. The prize for that were custom chips that said ‘2015 National Champions,’ so that’s really cool.

HC: That’s really impressive!

JA: The way I look at it is even if we don’t get first in everything, as long as they’re representing FSU and the club, I’m happy.

Photo By: Lauren Alsina

HC: What are some of your main responsibilities as president?

JA: Week to week, the biggest thing is setting up for the Friday games. We have two full ten-person tables that we have to carry down, we have like four cases of poker chips, but luckily I have the best officers this year. They’re really into it, and always willing to help with everything.

HC: How do you balance those responsibilities with school?

JA: It can get overwhelming if your priorities aren’t straight. School is the main priority, that’s why I’m here, you know. It was harder back when I was doing publicity stuff – I was trying to get the biggest group of people together that I could. It was kind of like planning a party! Now we’ve grown so much, we have like 40 people coming consistently every week to play, so I don’t have to worry about whether people will show up or not.

HC: Would you say that getting those championships and having those wins are your proudest accomplishments as president?

JA: The thing is, if people are enjoying themselves, that’s probably my greatest accomplishment. Just seeing people have fun with something that I made, something that I pushed forward. This was hard to start in the beginning. People were resistant to the idea of a poker club – it was like pulling teeth.

Photo By: Lauren Alsina

HC: Do you prefer to play online or in person?

JA: I would definitely rather go out and play. That’s just me though. I feel like it makes a better game, a deeper game. You can get into the psychology of it. I was just in Vegas – I went with my mom, actually – and I talked with some of the dealers, and a lot of them are worried about their jobs because everything is going electronic. Poker already kind of is. People aren’t coming to the live tables.

HC: How do you feel about online poker and online gambling?

JA: For online poker, I think it’s a good thing. I think you should let people do what they want. There are sites like Full Tilt and Pokerstars that are reputable, that have been advocating for legalizing online poker in the U.S for a long time. DraftKings and other daily fantasy sports sites stay legal by arguing that it’s about skill. I think poker is more of a game of skill than chance.

Photo By: Lauren Alsina

HC: What tips would you give someone who is inexperienced at poker or someone who wants to start playing but doesn’t know the game?

JA: We take new people every week. We will always walk you through the different hands, why one hand is better, why a certain hand wins. The best way to get better is just to play. We’re very open about teaching new people. We encourage it!

HC: What does it take to be truly great at poker?

JA: Obviously you have to know the cards, and you have to have the experience. There is not going to be a guy who comes out of the blue and wins. Honestly, there has to be some luck on your side to win big. You have to be able to read people, like the different poker tells, and what kind of game your opponent plays. Personally, I feel like you have to have a really good attitude going in. If you’re just in the mindset to make some money, or you have no confidence, you won’t play well.

Photo By: Lauren Alsina 

HC: Do you see a future in professional poker for yourself?

JA: It’s hard to say, because it’s a lot like major league sports; not many people make it. There’s only a handful that do. I definitely like the aspect of poker promoting. It’s really fun to me. That’s what I feel like I’ve been doing for the past couple years. If I could make a tournament that people like, that would be cool.

HC: Just for fun: What is the most you’ve ever won in a hand of poker?

JA: $300! It’s funny because for me the losses are more memorable than the wins.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.