I first met Jackie through a Gender and Leadership class on Florida State’s main campus. It began to be clear after a few weeks that she embodied what it meant to be an empowered woman and her passion for law was evident. Jaclyn Weinell is a Junior here at Florida State and an aspiring attorney. As if that wasn’t impressive enough, Jackie is currently the president of the FSU Mock Trial team. In a field that is typically dominated by men, Jackie has attained and thrived in her leadership position. It has been a pleasure getting a glimpse into the life of one of FSU’s female trailblazers!

Her Campus (HC): What is your major? Why did you select that major?

Jackie Weinell (JW): I’m majoring in History! I want to be an attorney, and I think it’s really interesting to learn about the people who shaped our legal system.

HC: What led you to want to become a lawyer? 

JW: Joining mock trial really sparked my interested in becoming a lawyer, and after that, I also worked at a law firm and at the county courthouse. The more I learn about practicing law, the more I want to do it. Being an attorney makes it possible to give a voice to someone who doesn’t have one.

Courtesy: Jackie Weinell

HC: What exactly is Mock Trial?

JW: We basically build a case and represent one of the sides in a pretend trial, and another university represents the other side. Our team members act as the attorneys and the witnesses and present our case to the judges. We get to compete at tournaments across the country and get feedback on our public speaking skills and our arguments.

HC: How did you get involved in Mock Trial?

JW: A friend encouraged me to try out for the team when I was in high school. I really loved it, and I knew I wanted to be on the team when I came to FSU.

HC: What has your experience been like as the president of the Mock Trial team?

JW: It’s been a privilege to lead such an amazing group of people, definitely the best experience I’ve had during college. We have a pretty big program, and I try to make sure that all of our members are getting the most out of the activity. There have been plenty of challenges, but it’s very rewarding.

HC: Explain some of your greatest successes as a team. Would you say the team has improved since you’ve been a part of it?

JW: Most of the leadership in our program graduated my freshman year, so ever since then we’ve had the opportunity to build our teams back up. This year, we took first place at both of the Regionals that our teams attended. We were also one of only four programs in the country who had four teams earn bids to the next level of competition.

Courtesy: Jackie Weinell

HC: What can we expect to see of the Mock Trial team in the coming months? Any big competitions coming up?

JW: We have a competition coming up during spring break! It’s called the Opening Round Championship Series.

HC: What is your favorite part of Mock Trial?

JW: The best part is being on a team full of people who are so dedicated to helping each other improve.

HC: What would your advice be to younger women who hope to one day compete on a Mock Trial team?

JW: The most important thing is to never give up. You can do anything you put your mind to.

HC: Who is your greatest source of inspiration?

JW: All of the women in the legal field who have overcome so many obstacles and had a significant and lasting impact on the world we live in. I hope to one day be able to inspire others in the same way.

Courtesy: Matt Weinell
Her Campus at Florida State University.