Izzy Izore: Future Pediatrician With an Air of Positivity

Name: Izzy Izore

Year: Junior

Hometown: Atlanta, GA “but I’ve been around the global block”

Major: Psychology with a minor in Chemistry

Age: 20

Courtesy: Izzy Izore

Her Campus (HC): Hey Izzy! Thanks for joining me. Let’s start off with a bit of the basics. What’s your major?

Izzy Izore (II): Initially my freshman year, I was a biology major like a lot of other pre-med students, but then I took Intro to Psych. I loved it from the beginning; it’s so interesting, so I decided to change my major.

HC: How’d you think psych was the best move when bio is the go-to for pre-meds?

II: I think it’s because I feel you’re only in college once, and you should do what you truly enjoy. I’d rather be taking classes I’m interested in! Plus, I didn’t really want to take Calculus.

HC: That’s so true! So, what are some of the things that you’ve been involved with on campus?

II: Well, Freshman year was more of me getting acclimated, enjoying my time here and loving it. Sophomore year I applied for UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program) – I recommend it to anybody – where I studied educational psychology researching why pre-meds tend to drop out. Then I joined the honors fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi, and after that I took up more research over that summer about ingestive behaviors. This past semester I ran for SGA with the Advance Party. I ended up winning, and now I’m a part of the Campus Rec Board. Also, I just recently started to volunteer at Miracle Hill nursing home, too.

Courtesy: Izzy Izore

HC: That’s a lot on your plate. How do you do it all? How are you so motivated and disciplined?

II: I feel that you need to be constantly doing things and getting involved; it puts a time limit where you’re obligated to work around your schedule. It’s such a godsend, it helps you so much. In all honesty, you just have to not think about it so much. Like if I apply for something, I don’t really think about the time commitment because I know I’ll make it happen. You just have to be happy-go-lucky with things. Even if I don’t do well on a test or get certain things, there’s always other opportunities. You can’t stress out. You got to have a good outlook on life, it’s how you get through the tough times.

HC: Ideally, what’re the big goals, the dreams?

II: Short term, I just want to get into Med School. Also, I want to get into Senate this summer. Long term, I want to be a pediatrician. I was a camp counselor a few years ago and I really loved the experience of working with kids. I hope I’m given the opportunity to do that.

HC: Anything you would change? Any advice for pre-med students or any incoming students at all?

II: As far as something I would change, I would do something I actually love instead of taking the traditional pre-med track. I would have loved my classes and gotten more involved my first year. As far as advice, go to Tutoring Zone and use Study Edge. They’re so underutilized but once you start using them, your grades will skyrocket. Study the way that works best for you. Aside from academics, enjoy your freshman year. It’s the year that you discover yourself. Don’t prescribe to what society portrays, do what you love. That really changed me.

Just your average coffee addicted collegiate student trying to find their place in the world who likes books, talking (a bunch), and people. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.