Is it Time to Change FSU’s Mascot?

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU 

Florida State University adopted the Seminoles as a mascot in 1947, a time where it was still illegal for Native Americans to practice their religion. Regardless, FSU has been through many Seminole mascot changes because of problems facing the representation of the Seminole Tribe. The first mascot was Sammy Seminole then Chief Fullabull, following that was Chief Wampumstompum, next Yahola the “spirit chief” and finally we have the familiar Chief Osceola and Renegade. Our previous mascots were widely protested and seen as offensive by various people for various reasons. All of these mascots (including our current one) were portrayed by white students.

Our mascot as we know today, Chief Osceola, was created primarily by a prominent white alum, Bill Durham. The Durham family still plays a huge role in the existence of Osceola, training each student who is to portray him through a long process with many prerequisites. Where did the mascot Chief Osceola come from? This answer is vague. Many people attribute the design to the Seminole Tribe of Florida and others give credit to the Durham family.

Seminoles in the early 1900s.

Courtesty: State Archives of Florida

The question is, is there anything wrong with this? And according to most experts, polls and Native American tribes and organizations, the answer is unequivocally YES. Most of the time the defense behind the Seminole mascot is the same. FSU is honoring the tribe, we are venerating their culture and guess what? If you haven’t heard (and you probably have), the Seminole tribe has given us permission to us their culture for our brand! However, despite what many people think, the situation is more complex than this.

Culturally and politically significant war bonnet used as an accessory.

Courtesy: Amazon 

Seminoles as the FSU mascot started out undoubtedly racist, but people try to defend FSU’s actions by pointing out our respectful and historical mascot. At any game, you will undoubtedly find students dressed in war paint and war bonnets, but ask any of these students questions about the history and culture in which they are “celebrating” and I guarantee that they lack some serious knowledge. In fact, the real Osceola wasn’t even a chief, but a military leader that fought against American troops. After surrendering to them, he was held captive until he died of illness and his family was sent to Oklahoma as prisoners. FSU doesn’t respect this history at all!

Who is our mascot? A white guy who paints himself in redface, dons a wig and wears dated, stereotypical apparel before every game. How is this respectful? It is the same as arguing that white actors who put on blackface and then act out dubious historical scenes are respecting black culture.

Courtesy: Gamedayr.com

The Seminole Tribe of Florida’s blessing is not an automatic argument that Seminoles as a mascot is not offensive. For many years they were against it, until FSU had a meeting with them. The Seminole Tribe of Florida gave their approval amidst vocal protests from other Seminoles. Many point out that the Seminole tribe settled on this issue for political reasons having to do with casinos, but regardless, the fact that ONE tribe approves among hundreds that disapprove speaks for itself. Hundreds of tribes and Native American organizations including the National Congress of American Indians are demanding these mascots be changed.

Native Americans live in the United States and mascots retain the idea that Native people are in the past. Native Americans are still dealing with the consequences of our nation’s history against them, and many people don’t have exposure to real Native people. We have packaged and repackaged the idea of Native Americans so much that today the average American knows more about pretend Native Americans than real ones. Research shows that these mascots can contribute to psychological, social and cultural consequences for Native American children and young adults. Many of FSU’s Seminole-related traditions have very little historical value and are really just a stereotypical reconstruction.

Modern Native Americans

Courtesy: Wikipedia

Using the Seminoles as a mascot is textbook cultural appropriation, a phenomenon where members of a dominant group exploit the culture of less a privileged group. Races and cultures are not costumes and mascots. This is a problem not widely talked about on campus or among white citizens in general, but this is a big problem for Native Americans. The Seminoles are a dated and racist mascot and it might be time for a change. Prominent schools like Dartmouth, Stanford, Seattle University and Arkansas State prove name changes are not the end of the world. Instead of being proud to be a Seminole, let’s be proud to be Florida State students. This is not about political correctness; it’s about doing what is right. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.