An Indie Girl’s Guide to Halloween Costumes

As Cady Heron once said more than a decade ago, Halloween is the one time of year girls can dress like a total sl*t and put some sort of ears on and call it a costume. This is totally fine (also it’s not okay to call someone a s*ut based on their clothes), but sometimes you don’t want to stick to the status quo. This is an indie girl’s guide to nailing the alternative aesthetic on Halloween. The main essential is the Cult Classic look. There’s nothing better than going to a costume party and killing it being your favorite character from a movie or show everyone should’ve seen but haven’t. Here are some vital characters to add to your costume repertoire.

Suzy from Moonrise Kingdom

Suzy from Moonrise Kingdom is perfect for the quirky girl who wants a vintage vibe. She’s hard core and knows how to use scissors so back off.

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams might be more mainstream than the rest of this list, but she’s still a favorite among all because of her cynicism and complete annihilation of the little black dress. 

Courtesy: Pinterest

Margot Tenenbaum

Margot Tenenbaum from The Royal Tenenbaums, another iconic Wes Anderson girl, is the epitome of fashion forward it-girls to mimic. Get out your big fur coat and single hair clip to recreate her look. 

Courtesy: Popsugar

Clueless

Even though Clueless gained a revival from Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” video, Cher and Dionne live on forever in our hearts as their true, iconic, fashionable selves. If you can rock yellow and plaid, go for it. 

Courtesy: The New York Post

Mia Wallace

Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction might not be the best role model, but her attitude is badass and so is her black and white attire. Get a black wig, some deep lipstick and put on some good jams, but unlike Mia don’t party too hard or you’ll have to restart your heart.

Courtesy: Reddit

Daria and Jane

From the animated MTV show Daria, these two kill it every time. If you’re sarcastic as hell and don’t want to deal with the patriarchy, both of these characters would be perfect for you. 

Courtesy: Popsugar

Heathers

Whether you’ve seen the movie or heard the amazing soundtrack from the Broadway musical, the cast of Heathers tops the cult classic list. If you want to be one of the Heathers or Winona Ryder’s Veronica, it gives you an excuse to be a preppy ’80s girl with some serious issues, and what’s more Halloween-like than that?

Courtesy: The Atlantic

The Breakfast Club

John Hughes classic movie is great inspiration for a myriad of costumes. You want to be the jock? The princess? The brain? The basket case? Or maybe even the criminal? Another excuse to go all ’80s on the Halloween scene, but this time you can carry a stereo and play “Don’t You Forget About Me” while you go from party to party.

Courtesy: The New York Post

Freaks and Geeks

If you haven’t seen this majestic series that was cut too short, get on Netflix and binge watch. The cast of Freaks and Geeks reminds you of someone you knew in high school, whether you were a geek and didn’t want to participate in gym class or were the smart girl trying to be cool and hang with the bad kids. 

Courtesy: ABC

Pretty In Pink

If you’re trying to be fashionable while still being a cult classic, Pretty in Pink is the way to go. Duckie and Andie are both style icons even though everyone agrees that her dress was better before she got the scissors out. John Hughes just knows how to make movies that people want to reminded of decades afterwards.

Courtesy: Guidelive

FSU graduate student, born and raised in Japan, has an obsessive affinity with tea and cats. Spends her free time reading magazines in her collage-plastered room or ranting about feminism and existentialism to peers. Perhaps in the future Megan will be an editor at a magazine, or something equally as cool and dramatic. Check out her website at meganmmcclain.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.