Culture > News

ICYMI: One World: Together At Home Concert

On Saturday, April 18, the Global Citizen movement debuted a concert comparable only to the infamous 1985 Live Aid concert. Except for this time, instead of bringing in concert attendees to a venue, everyone watched from their own home.

This history-making moment was One World: Together at Home Special to Celebrate COVID-19 Workers. The benefit concert was orchestrated by Global Citizen, the World Health Organization and Lady Gaga. Their mission is to support “by bringing the world together through music and inspiring everyone to take action.” Since so many people are isolated at home, more than anything, Together at Home wanted to inspire hope.

Together at Home boasted a six-hour-long pre-show, available to stream on multiple platforms. The main show, kicking off at 8 P.M. ET on ABC, CBS and NBC was hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert. The trio of late-night hosts ditched their typical talk show studios in favor of their living rooms.

The premiere performance of the night belonged to Lady Gaga, covering Nat King Cole’s “Smile.” As the main celebrity to spearhead Together at Home, Gaga played a large part in organizing the lineups and raising donations.

coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media

Several musicians throughout the night opted to perform covers of songs, typically songs with themes of hope and togetherness. Sam Smith and John Legend sang a beautiful duet from their own separate homes of “Stand By Me.” Jennifer Lopez sang her heart out to Barbara Streisand’s “People,” and Stevie Wonder paid Tribute to Bill Withers with a touching rendition of “Lean on Me.” These virtual mini-concerts had a wide range of artists from different decades and genres of music, but the one thing they all had in common was that they all took a moment to express their gratitude. During the pre-show, Kesha addressed viewers by stating, “I know that there’s so many people working and not sleeping and sacrificing so much to help figure this out for everyone, and I just think the vulnerability of us all as human beings right now is really showing a really beautiful side to humanity.”

Besides featuring musical acts, Together at Home showcased news stories about community members on the frontline. They thanked healthcare workers such as doctors and nurses and to highlight the heroic acts they are performing day in and day out. Additionally, the show included a highlight of “everyday” people on a different kind of “frontline,” such as schoolteachers going the extra mile to still provide a quality education for their students and the sanitation, food and delivery workers who risk their lives to provide people with necessities. Beyoncé and Alicia Keys both used their platform to shine a light on the disproportionate number of black people in America being affected by the coronavirus. Beyoncé pointed out that “57% of fatal cases are African American,” despite African Americans only make up 13 percent of the population.

Together at Home concluded the night with a final collaboration of Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion, Lady Gaga and John Legend performing “The Prayer.” It’s ending note was a reminder for viewers to stay strong and stay safe.

In total, Together at Home raised over 35 million for the World Health Organization. This money will be allocated to help better equip healthcare workers around the world with surgical masks, N95 masks, gloves, gowns, goggles and face shields. It will also fund more diagnostic kits for hospitals. However, the show was not in the style of a telethon: it was about coming together and honoring resilience.  In fact, Lady Gaga asked everyone at home to “put your wallets away, this is not a fundraiser.” Throughout the show, viewers were encouraged to visit act.me to take the pledge to stay home.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Riley Torrence (she/her) is a current senior at Florida State University studying Communications and Editing, Writing, and Media. She loves films, coffee, literature, new adventures, and her two cats! You can find her on Instagram at @rileytorrence.
Her Campus at Florida State University.