I Ranked All the Songs on ‘Ungodly Hour’ by Chloe x Halle and it Was the Hardest Thing I’ve Ever Had To Do

Let me start by saying Ungodly Hour is one of the best albums to be released in 2020. This album single-handily made quarantine go so much smoother. Chloe and Halle have truly outdone themselves by creating a pop, rock, r&b and soul-infused album that showcases their vocal range and out-of-this-world abilities. Ungodly Hour truly has no skips, which is why I had to make some very tough decisions when ranking the songs. The three-time Grammy-nominated album has been out for about six months and since I’ve listened to each song at least a million times, I’m the perfect person for this job.

13. “Intro”

Although they do not say a word until the very end, Chloe and Halle use their amazing vocals to start the album, setting the tone for the darker energy they channel in Ungodly Hour.

12. “Catch Up” ft. Swae Lee and Mike WiLL Made-it

This was the first released single from Ungodly Hour and our first listen in to what this album would be like. Compared to the music from their last album, The Kids are Alright, “Catch Up” used a little bit more trap influence than we’re used to hearing from them.

11. “Overwhelmed” 

“Overwhelmed” is such a beautiful song about how the pressures of life can get to you. As a college student, I could relate to this. Even though this song is less than a minute, the duo can capture exactly how they’re feeling.

10. “Lonely” 

“It doesn’t have to be lonely being alone.” This is another relatable track that probably wasn’t meant to be so spot-on, considering they recorded this before COVID-19 forced us to social distance. However, this song reminds all of us to look within ourselves and become content with our own company.

multiple albums on a shelf
Photo by Clay Banks from Unsplash

9. “Baby Girl”

Is it really a Chloe and Halle album if there isn’t an empowerment song? “Baby Girl” encourages young women to not give up on themselves since young girls everywhere look up to them and reminds them that the little girl inside of them is rooting for them. This song is reminiscent of “Warrior” on their first album as it reminds the listener of their inner strength. 

8. “ROYL”

First of all, I’ve been waiting for Chloe and Halle to get in their alternative bag! This song is a brilliant combination of trap and grunge with juxtaposing lyrics, telling the listener to live their life to the fullest while also being a fun turn-up song! Their performance of this song is also unmatched. 

7. “Forgive Me”

For their third single, Chloe and Halle steer away from their good girl image and give us the anti-f-boy anthem that reminds us exactly who we are and tells us to take back our power.

6. “Busy Boy”

This song is so funny to me since it’s a great combination of being messy and fun. The fact that Chloe and Halle produce their own music still amazes me because the production in this is so good.

5. “Tipsy”

Only Chloe and Halle can make a song about murder sound like a party song! All the songs on the album have great production but “Tipsy” shines through. The fact that Chloe produced this one entirely on her own makes me even more excited for the day I get to see them in concert.

Crowd in a concert
Photo by Kaleb Nimz from Unsplash

4. “Wonder What She Thinks of Me”

A side chick song has never been sung so beautifully. This song was a big stand-out song on the album for me as I would never expect something like this from Chloe and Halle but hearing a perspective in a song like this was such a change in what we are used to hearing in music.

3. “Ungodly Hour”

Remember when I mentioned having to make some really tough decisions? Well, here we are. Placing “Ungodly Hour” at number three is very painful to me because every time I hear it, it sounds brand new. It’s transcendental, especially towards the end when Halle sings, “Love me, love me.” It feels like I’m floating on a cloud.

2. “Do It”

“Do It” is the second single on the album and is their most popular song. It is Grammy-nominated and is their first song to enter the Billboard 100. It was also on my Spotify’s most listened to songs of 2020, so I had no choice but to put it in my top three. I will always hold a getting-ready-to-go-out with my friends song close to my heart. The song is so simple, yet fun and dynamic.

1. “Don’t Make it Harder on Me”

Having this song at number one may be controversial but this is my favorite song off of the album. I still remember what I felt when I heard it for the very first time. This song feels like I’m at a diner with someone else, while the guy I have a crush on is across the room in roller skates staring at me. This old school Jackson 5 melody and the violins really showcases their talent and ability to seamlessly blend different genres into one album. 

Overall, Ungodly Hour deserves all the awards and praise because Chloe and Halle are the future and being a stan of theirs is so rewarding.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Ananda York is a Floridian writer of Jamaican descent. She loves Fashion, Beauty, Social Media, and Entrepreneurship and is currently coming up with a way to combine all of those into a major.
Her Campus at Florida State University.