Career

I Got a Job Working Nights and This Is How It Went

So, first things first. I work at the Holiday Inn Express as a front desk receptionist and I work 3-4 nights out of the week. Many people when they think of jobs don’t automatically think of the night shift or “graveyard shift” as it’s typically referred to. And this is mainly because when it’s night time, we are usually sleeping and don’t want to go to work when the clock strikes 11 p.m. I mean nothing is open, it’s dark and all the weirdos are out. But if you are a night owl like me, night time is your best time to be productive and if you take this, along with some adjustment time, working nights is kinda awesome in a way.

See, my mom worked nights so I was already accustomed to the night owl/graveyard routine. This helped when I first got the job because I knew when I had to sleep and how long I needed to sleep for in order to not be a zombie that had to greet guests. But a good sleep schedule isn’t the only key to success if you want to work nights, that’s why I’m gonna give you some tips on how to survive and secure the bag.

1. The very first most important thing: Take a nap before your shift!

This will refresh you and keep you up throughout the night without ever feeling tired. You know how you would take naps before bed and then couldn’t fall back asleep till 4 a.m. during summer? Yeah, it’s the same thing but this way you’re doing it on purpose.

2. Pack a Lunch!

And not only a lunch, pack a ton of snacks and flavored drinks if you can. I used to think I wouldn’t get hungry or it would just make me more tired, but let me tell you something, I was completely wrong. When they clock hit 2 a.m. I would be starving and half asleep with no restaurants open to Uber from, then the next day I brought some pasta I had made the day prior along with a coke I bought. When I tell you I was wide awake till the end of my shift and even had enough energy left over to do some homework when I got home. It didn’t make sense at first but then it clicked. Food gives you energy, and let’s be honest you can’t be tired if you’re eating.

3. Always make sure you know your job’s safety procedure, especially the nighttime precautions.

Usually places limit the doors so they can’t open a certain way or they have employees stay in the back, this is because crazy people exist out there, especially at night and your safety is the number one concern.

4. During training, make sure you ask every question you can think of.

This is because during night shift, everyone important is sleeping, like the managers and trainers etc. And this creates a problem when it’s only you on a shift and something happens that you don’t know how to deal with. If you need help or are confused on something ASK QUESTIONS, or risk a very grumpy manager when you call and wake them up in the middle of the night.

Last but not least, don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t get the hang of things immediately. There’s a reason night shift is nicknamed graveyard. It’s gonna take time to adjust and figure out what works for you, so don’t stress, you’ll be ok.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Kartika Ahern, I am a freshman studying Biomedical engineering. In my free time I love photography, swimming and going to Chipotle with my friends. Follow me on Insta! @lil.tika
Her Campus at Florida State University.