I Cut out Social Media for a Week: Here’s How it Went

Freshman year I had a bit of a wake-up call. I was at home with my family and I realized I was spending more time scrolling through my phone than I was talking to the people I care most about and never see. I decided to delete social media off of my phone and only download certain apps when I wanted/needed to post something. This was the best cleanse because I really only focused on the people and things that mattered to me.

Now, as a senior, I’m going through that same feeling of self-realization and decided that I needed to cut back on social media for a week just to limit my distractions and focus on myself and my responsibilities.

Courtesy: Miranda Torres

IPhones allow you to limit how much time you spend on each app, which is extremely helpful! I set my app limits to only 1 minute per platform per day, making it impossible to waste time on my phone. When you’ve reached your limit in the app, it will send you a notification. This is a super simple way to monitor how much time you spend on your phone so you can #CheckYourself before you #WreckYourself.

This week, I decided to make a conscious effort to eliminate these distractions and unnecessary clutter in my life in a bid to focus my energy on the people and projects that mean most to me. Here’s how it went.

Day 1

I’m not going to lie….I definitely cheated on my “no social media” pact today. I did use my Instagram, but for the sole purpose of promoting Dance Marathon at FSU, so I guess that counts as my free pass. Right? #FTK

Day 2

Today was a lot more difficult than I expected. I wasn’t tempted to touch my phone constantly, but I did notice when I had downtime, my first instinct was to reach for my phone and check Snapchat or Instagram. Instead of wasting time looking through the clutter on my phone, I spent more time away from my phone connecting with those around me. Just like the good ‘ol days.

Day 3

In all honesty, this no-social media thing is pretty easy. I realize I mostly turn to these apps in an effort to keep me distracted, but I’ve been filling my time up with personal projects and catching up on chores, which I will say is 100% the self-care we all need and deserve.

Day 4

At this point, I’ve forgotten about social media and really don’t feel a yearning for it. Okay, that’s a bit extreme but in all seriousness, I don’t miss it! I spent the day busy, out and about, being a girl boss without any attachment to pointless snaps and photos. The only time I really relied on social media today was to update my LinkedIn and social handles for jobs because #professional #CEOinthemaking.  

Day 5

The final day of my social media cleanse has come and truthfully, I am glad for one reason: I can keep stalking @hercampus and @her20s because they are the golden standard of social media done right. I still don’t feel an overwhelming urge to jump back into social media, but I definitely do feel that I managed my distractions this week thanks to cutting back.

Results

Courtesy: Miranda Torres

My screen time went down 30% from my usual which was so relieving to see. I spent, on average, 3 hours and 13 minutes a day on my phone which I consider a WIN because I know the majority of this time was spent texting, Facetiming, calling people and checking my emails because I’m that busy lady.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.