Howard Font: Political Aficionado

Name: Howard Font

Year: Senior

Major: International Affairs

Minor: Economics

Hometown: Belleair, Florida

Main Involvement: Vice-Chairman of Vitality Party; Leon County District 2 County Commission Candidate

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose FSU?

Howard Font (HF): Because I love economics, I knew that I had to analyze the costs and benefits of which college I would attend.  FSU offers the best schooling for the tuition rate, no question. Its proximity to the state capitol also presented incredible opportunities to get involved on and off campus.

HC: Did you always want to study International Affairs and Economics?

HF: Yes, I’ve always loved the combination! I don’t know what else I’d change to if I had to.

HC: How did you start getting involved with Vitality on campus? How did your passions help you to get you involved?

HF: At first, I had no involvement with student politics. Instead, I went to a lot of Economics Club and Aikido Martial Arts Club meetings. I was made aware of Vitality through a friend who started it. The current administration’s values of encouraging student involvement helped me to gravitate naturally toward Vitality.

HC: You’re pretty active on campus. Can you tell me a little bit about how you’re involved off campus?

HF: I have always loved participating in community service through the Tallahassee Kendo Club and the Big Event. I want to continue to stay involved after graduation in Leon County, which is why I chose to run for County Commissioner.

HC: That’s amazing! What lead you to this decision to run for public office?

HF: I think that for a district [Leon County Commission District 2] with thousands of students, a major university [FSU], and a top ten community college [TCC], there needs to be student representation at the local government level. There is not currently, and that’s just plain wrong. I have been to county commission meetings, and I know that I can help these students by providing them that passionate representation. In this government, there’s no reason why any constituency should not have their voice represented. 

Courtesy: Howard Font

HC: So what are your next steps?

HF: My next steps consist of finishing what I have already started at FSU. I want to make sure that the Vitality Party has two more good elections, I want to graduate from FSU with the grades that represent the high academic standards I have for myself, and I want to lead students to improved representation in Leon County!

HC: Who would you say is a major influence in your life?

HF: I look up to a lot of people. I truly respect Milton Friedman and FDR as political figures. The way that the last two democratic presidents held themselves, I think, are very much something to be proud of as a citizen of the United States. Locally and personally, I look up to my parents for strength in my life. I have many friends who are doing amazing things locally and nationally, and I admire all of them.

HC: Can you tell me in one idea what your main passion is? How has it influenced you?

HF: I’m passionate about making sure that government at all levels—from student to federal—gives everyone a voce. I’d rather have a bad policy go through with the support of the people than a good policy go through under a dictatorial decision. That’s what fuels everything from my involvement with Vitality to my excitement about the County Commission race.

HC: When you’re not busy with Vitality and the County Commission race, what can we find you doing?

HF: When I stop being busy, you’ll be the first one to know! In all honesty, like most college students will tell you, sleeping is a constant struggle, and I try to fit in a few hours here and there whenever I can. I also try to keep up my personal fitness and I do love playing pool at Crenshaw. The student rate is honestly the best deal in town.

HC: Do you have any advice for people who would like to get involved in politics at FSU?

HF: Show up. It’s definitely a hurdle, but if it is something you want, show up and people will be there to help you. It’s scary, but there aren’t high barriers to entry. Although becoming involved may seem intimidating, I hope that the work I’ve done has lowered it still more. Also, just walk into the SGA offices whenever you want; they’re pretty open about helping.

Alexandra Pushkin is a student at Florida State University. Following graduation, she will continue to work toward her goal of becoming an editor. Born and raised in Miami, Florida, she is fascinated and inspired by art in all its forms, and often experiments with different media (fashion and DIY are her middle names). In her spare time she enjoys tending to her garden, reading interior design books, throwing brunches with her lovely friends, and cooking, of course. Three words: pumpkin cheesecake cups.
Her Campus at Florida State University.