With the 2020 election slowly passing behind us, voter turnout was reported the highest in the history of the United States. Younger generations continued to spread awareness throughout the year of both candidates’ platforms along with the long list of policy change that is needed in our country. Voter turnout between younger individuals has consecutively been low over the years, which is ironic considering that whoever is elected will affect them the most. I had the opportunity to talk with first-time voters and those that are just starting to form a political opinion. The different viewpoints were extremely interesting and gave a clear view of the youth’s 2020 vision.

Social media platforms acted as the driving force for educating the public about politics; specifically, millennials and generation Z. Everyone’s Instagram feed was flooded with posts about where your local voting location was, the deadlines for voting and where to get a mail-in-ballot. Twitter kept everyone up to date with current events, allowing the average person who doesn’t turn on the news to still get an inside scoop of what is going on in the world around us. Without a doubt, this election created a community that lent a helping hand to others. 

We want justice cardboard and girl with blonde hair
Photo by Lina Kivaka from Pexels

Younger generations showed up to vote and to change the path of America. When talking to first-time voters, the dedication and passion to go to the polls was uncanny. Hannah Mason, age 21, explained that “A lot of us couldn’t vote in the last election, so being able to have our voice heard and our vote count was more important than ever.” When asking her about the role social media played, she stated, “The younger generation definitely showed up this election. A majority of my friends post about the election all over social media, advocating for our human rights and encouraging everyone to vote. I had a few friends phone bank and attend the protests that took place in our local community.” While most people think voter turnout was caused by an increase in political efficacy, some have a unique view on social media. 

When asked about this specific topic, Jillian Roche, age 22, said, “Social media played a big part especially because people are more aware [of] what is happening. My only concern is that it hinders people from doing more for the community. Instead of sharing that one post, social media activism would be more productive if people take what they see and apply it to everyday life.” She makes a good point regarding the recent activism that has taken place. Although voter turnout has increased, it is important to continue the fight for what we believe in. The amount of energy spent on encouraging others to educate themselves and demanding that the government implements policy to better our future should be ongoing. The biggest takeaway from this election year is that one should practice what they preach. If the younger generations continue on this path, there should be some exciting things to look forward to in our future. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Jamie is a Political Science major who aspires to become an attorney. In her free time, she enjoys writing, politics, sports, and playing with her puppy.
Her Campus at Florida State University.